In-car GPS/Enterainment

Discussion in 'Car Systems' started by Seadog, May 13, 2012.

1. Sichan

Sichan
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    @ AQ_QC
    that looks like a really nice set up
    I should try that sometimes...

now i just need to plan for a trip to somewhere

2. jmbarker58

jmbarker58
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Navigon!!!!

3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I test mine out driving back and forth to work....80-mile round trip.

4. valinrace

valinrace
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I think the Ipad is too much big to be used as a gps and uncomfortable. Il have to agree with kevinjs and go with tom toms. But using Ipad is also a great idea if you really have no gps

5. jwt873

jwt873
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I bought a little 40 MPG 2012 Hyundai Accent. (It actually gets 40 MPG on the highway)..

Hyundai provides iPod connectivity in all its models. So, not only can you listen to your iPod, iPad or iPhone, but you can control it using the stereo and the steering wheel mounted controls. If all I want to do is listen to my music library, I can wedge the iPad between the console and the passenger seat with the cover closed and go through my albums and playlists using the stereo controls. Not only that, but the song, artist and album info appears on the car stereo display. There's no need to look at or touch the iPad.

I use the Tune-In radio app a lot to stream talk, music and sports off the internet. It integrates beautifully as well. If I'm listening to internet music using Tune In, the song info shows up on the radio display.. For many sports stations, the teams and the score show up on the radio display as well. While the iPad is showing the nav app, I still see the info for the music or Tune In app showing up on the car display..

For navigation, I use GPS Drive. It integrates well with the iPad audo apps. You can have the GPS voice instructions pause whatever you're currently listening to, or have the instructions talk over what you're listening to. Because I'm using the car stereo, the voice is easy to hear and pleasant to listen to.

The Hyundai glove compartment has latches to hold it closed on the sides of the hatch instead of in the middle. That lets me fold the iPad cover back and close it in the glove compartment. The iPad sits nicely out of the way. See photo below:

Edit.... Just to add.. The Hyundai connector has enough juice to charge the iPad. It's not fast, but the charge level does go up when the iPad is connected.

Attached Files:

#15 jwt873, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  6. veryken

veryken
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a stock dealer photo. Can you show the actually mount, how it's connected and whatever else is visible BEYOND the iPad?

7. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I will be traveling this weekend and my iPad 3 will be my navigation device. This should a good test of the charging ability. I've found that my iPad 3 keeps and gains a charge while using it for Navigation, but I've so far only done trips of about an hour. Over the next couple of weeks, I will make two six hour drives and two 7-8 hour trips.

I strongly disagree with anyone who says an iPad is too big for car nav. The fact is, it is much easier to see at a glance. Navigon works as well as any software on a dedicated GPS device.

8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    He said he's closing the glove box with his iPad cover jammed into it. There's no mounting involved. I doubt that's Hyundai's or any automaker's stock photo, lol.

9. veryken

veryken
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    LOL. That's a much clearer way of describing it!

10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Whether iPad is too big or not is just a preference, so it doesn't matter what others say, as long as it works for you.

For my uses, iPad is impractical to carry around all the time, and isn't as convenient as my standalone GPS, which can take a beating and never has a charging issue, because it charges from its base. I've never needed more screen size than that, so I find no need to use my iPads for GPS.

When I do use my iPads in my car, while my husband drives, I want them accessible to me for surfing and such, not serving as a GPS.