What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In-app 'Open in ...' issue

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been struggling with this 'Open in ....' in-app feature for a while, and can't seem to find solution.

There's usually a choice between 8 and 10 applications to choose from when you want to open a file in another app - depending which app you want open your file from.

Problem here is that often times my most popular apps (iAnnotate, Goodreader, UPad, ...) don't appear in the selections for 'Open in ...' . I've tried deleting some apps that appeared in the menu hoping that it would 'move up' my most popular apps. It worked. But I still need the apps that I deleted. Once I re-installed them, I was back to square one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS limits the number of apps that can register with it for the 'Open in' facility to 10. If more apps are present that offer an 'Open in' with a particular format of file, only 10 will ever be offered. Maybe another Member - I'm thinking of a professional developer that we have as a Member, thewitt, will know whether the order in which the apps are loaded is relevant if more than ten apps are present that can process a particular format of file.

Tim

OP
E

Evan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thks for the reply Tim.
Indeed, if we could only know the order in which these apps are loaded in the 'Open in ...' menu. Or better yet, more apps available in same menu.
I was positive the more I would open a file in a certain app, that app would at some point appear in the menu. Wrong!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - it can be frustrating for common file formats if you have a large number of compatible apps!

Tim

Most reactions