What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

improve Ipad wifi

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I improve my wifi strength

Welcome to the Forum.

Can you tell us a little more about your set-up? How far is the iPad from the WiFi router? What obstacles are there in-between the WiFi router and iPad - walls, metallic objects etc.

Do you have any other cordless devices in the house - i.e. DECT cordless 'phones

What particular problems are you facing? Connection drop-out? Poor data rate?

Do you have any other devices connected to your WiFi - i.e. laptop

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions - we'll try to find a solution...

Tim
Scotland

OP
L

Lawrence

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Tim
Thank you for your prompt reply
I will try and answer the questions you asked me
My main computer is an Apple Mac and my service provider is AOL.
The router is wireless Adsl modem called netgear
I also have a connection from the router with an Edmax. Ap wireless 300m range
Extender at about 7 feet from the netgear modem
I have another Mac book pro which picks up the wireless signal from my apple Mac network a82c50
Both of these computers are at the rear of my apartment which is approx 2500 sq feet
My iPad and iPhone pick up a better signal from the front of the apartment with the edimax ap but is mostly very week
I do have a cordless phone system bang and olufson with 4 cordless phones
Between the routers there are walls radiators various metal objects including a metal table stand
The distance I am trying to reach from the routers is approx. 30 yards
I hope this gives you the information you require and many thanks for your help
Lawrence Collins

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dear Tim
I have another Mac book pro which picks up the wireless signal from my apple Mac network a82c50
Both of these computers are at the rear of my apartment which is approx 2500 sq feet
My iPad and iPhone pick up a better signal from the front of the apartment with the edimax ap but is mostly very week
Between the routers there are walls radiators various metal objects including a metal table stand
Lawrence Collins

1st off may I say AOL + dsl = my condolences....Jay kayin'...didnt think aol was still around.
Are you currently downloading any big files on the macs? ie movies, torrents, songs?
How old is the netgear?
You say you live in an apartment...do you have wep enabled on the netgear? If not, neighbor(s) could be leeching off you.
What frequency type are the cordless phones?...if its the 2.4ghz kind then anytime you recieve a call your wifi will also drop since they both use the same frequency.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Tim
Lawrence Collins

Thanks for your reply and to the excellent points made by the previous poster. With a 300 metre range extender I am surprised you are having problems. Do I understand you correctly though that the signal strength you get is not good even when the iPad is close to the range extender? If that's the case, then clearly there's some problem here. But maybe I've misunderstood what you are saying. Try moving the iPad around the apartment and see how the signal strength varies - probably you've done that (if I read your email, I think maybe you have - so sorry). I have a range extender here too - not the same as yours - and I can use my iPad at least 100-150 metres from the unit - through walls, radiators etc. I, too, have a multi-handset cordless 'phone but, of course, the problem of interference would only be important if the 'phones were active. Are there any other sources of interference around that could be impacting you? I'm thinking of other buildings or apartments in the vicinity?

Another point, does your range extender transmit on a different channel? When you go to 'Settings', and look at the WiFi networks that are available, can you 'see' other networks? Are you connected, possibly, to another unit - as the other poster suggested? Look at the names of the other networks that the iPad displays and see if any of them 'look familiar'.

If the worst comes to the worst, there are come iPad WiFi apps that can give a more detailed 'analysis' of the WiFi signals that the iPad is receiving - but let's try the simpler things first!

Thanks again to the other poster. Anyone with any better ideas (well, they can't be worse than mine :).......

Tim
Scotland

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure what netgear model you use....I have WGR614v8 54mbps b/g router and if I go into my router settings and choose 'attached devices' under maintenance in the list on the left hand side. It shows me all devices using the router whether be wireless or wired that is drawing the bandwith.

Most reactions

Latest posts