What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing raw + jpeg from camera

Adagio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 4 iOS 6.1

I have been experimenting with camera imports. If I shoot as jpeg OR RAW all seems fine. I can import with camera connector, edit with Photogene etc. However, if I shoot RAW+jpeg, even though there are 2 files on the camera and the import app labels the thumbnail RAW+jpeg, only the jpeg file seems to be imported. I am an iPad newbie so suspect I am missing something, any suggestions more than welcome.

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi David, I believe I read somewhere that the i-pad cannot import Raw files for some reason, only jpeg. I am new to i-pad also, having bought my 64GB i-Pad4 only a week ago, so you may get other replies that correct me. I will watch your replies as this also interests me. I know a few guys that have the earlier i-pads and regularly Wi-Fi tether to their 7D cameras. Which camera are you using?

Alex

OP
A

Adagio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Alex

I have 2 cameras that support RAW file format, an Olympus E-520 and Canon Powershot S95. The iPad 4 will most certainly import RAW files via the Lightning to USB Camera Adaptor provided that the camera is on the supported list. Photo displays the embedded JPEG thumbnail (actually of reasonable quality) this JPEG can also be edited with Photogene. The RAW files are added to Photo Stream and uploaded to iCloud. They can also be transferred via the Transfer App wirelessly to my Windows desktop.

However, if I shoot RAW+JPEG 2 files are stored on the camera, a .ORF and .JPEG; when I attempt transfer to iPad Photo indicates on the pre-import thumbnail that the image is RAW+JPEG but only only one file, the JPEG, appears to be transferred.

Now for most purposes the RAW only capture is fine. The iPad allows for decent preview in the field but the quality is not really good enough for printing. I have not experimented with a photo editing App that purports to edit RAW and export to JPEG. That may be a solution. Have you tried e.g. PhotoRaw?

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi David, I have not tried PhotoRaw, but it may be interesting to have a look at it. My i-Pad plan is to only import images that I have already edited and not to use the i-Pad to download from a card. I know several guys in photography that use the iPad Wi-Fi tethered to their Canon 7D cameras so that they can check the image within seconds and I may try that sometime. At present I am just trying to get to grips with the iPad as it's the first one I have owned and one of the main uses will be to have my edited photographs on it for display and save me having so many printed portfolios to carry around.

Where in the UK are you located?

Alex

OP
A

Adagio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Alex
I have only owned an iPad for just over 2 weeks and am still very much a beginner. I have not, historically, been an Apple fan - "style over function?" and I was sorely tempted to buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab or Google Nexus but after much online research and trying the patience of an expert young saleswoman in John Lewis I came to the conclusion that support for my photography was superior on the iPad and worth the price premium. I don't think I have changed my mind at all. I intend to use it predominantly for viewing images when I am away from home. As a bonus it acts as a backup both itself and in iCloud.

I live in Hampshire on the west side of Southampton Water.

Most reactions

Latest posts