What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing Photos From PC

Alpha81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't seem to bring over more than one folder with photos into the Ipad without erasing the photos that I previously loaded onto Ipad....

I load say 30 photos from a folder on my pc through Itunes...I sync and it all works well :)

I then try to load another folder with photos in it and while it does that it also wipes the previously loaded 30 photo stack off the Ipad :(

In essence it seems I can only have one stack of photos in my albums...Help please, Im obviously doing something wrong...:confused:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you're asking here. The iPad syncs by folder, so if you change the contents of a sync'd folder on your hard drive, iTunes will update your iPad to whatever is now in that folder.

I hope that makes sense.

I have a feeling that's not what you're asking though.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
You are doing something wrong..... On your PC you should have your pics in one spot, usually my pictures. Point iTunes to there. In the tab for photos for your iPad, when it is plugged in..... Make sure my photos is checked (or wherever all your pics are) ....

It will sync. The pics in that folder will be there, along with all subfolders.

OP
A

Alpha81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...

Yes exactley, I used the drop down box to direct iTunes to grab from the folder inwhich I want to load on the iPad, works like a charm. Lets say I did that and have a stack of photos now on my iPad. Now I want to add more photos... I do the same thing however this time I direct to another folder that has different photos in it...when I sync they show up on the iPad like clockwork....However the previously loaded photos are now gone!

My fear is that I can only sync from one folder, period, and that if I wanted 1000 photos on my iPad that I would have to have all 1000 photos in that folder on my PC. alluring to what Math3w stated earlier.

My wife is a photographer and has a terabyte external that is almost full, many photos that are in many different folders:)

Last edited:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to take some screenshots later on how to do this...I still don't quite understand what you're saying.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you put all the photos you want to synch under one parent folder and point iTunes at the folder, you can synch any of the "child" folders under it.

I'm not at my PC at the moment, but I don't think you can synch from two different parent sources, such as your C drive and an external or network drive.

Not sure what happens if you have a shortcut to another drive inside the My Pictures folder... it would be nice if that worked.

newenglander

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem...!
When I import/download/sync (whatever you want to call it) new photos
the old photos on the iPad are gone.

RobinNY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robertmoulthrop.com
Thanks for all the help. I will try again. My problem? On my first sync with my PC, the iPad not only did not pick up my photos, even though I pointed it to a dedicated folder, but it erased the three free book apps I had downloaded. Any thoughts on that?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two separate issues. If you have your apps set to manually sync and uncheck the box it will delete the apps. As for the photos, if you follow and read the guide that I wrote and linked there is no way to not get it right. If you are still messed up you are doing something wrong.

jojouichanco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
synch-ing on more than one computer

Same thing happened to me when I tried to synch files (music, photos, etc.) from two different computers to my ipad. iTunes will delete files from the previous computer before it synchs the next computer's files.

If you want to synch photos from both computers, you have to copy the photos onto one machine and synch the ipad photos only to that machine. (It's a pain.)

PMLBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, if I understand, I can only sync one folder and it's subs. I have 20,000 photos. So, I must copy just those I want on my iPad into a special folder, then sync that folder. Wouldn't it be nice if iTunes sync allowed an option to delete or not those already in the iPad?? Too complicated, I guess

Most reactions

Latest posts