What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing flac files

pcs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. Couldn't find this topic in a search: Can anyone tell me a simple way to import flac files to my iPad? I have installed capriccio, which supposedly will play them. I have also tried downloading them from Dropbox, but I get the message that none of my apps can support the format. If it makes a difference, I'm working from a PC.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

OP
P

pcs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I was not aware of the filesharing option on iTunes (I'm totally new to mac products, and have always avoided iTunes as much as possible in the past - still figuring all this out. And, to be honest, I find Apple's various help sites really counterintuitive - I seem to dig forever before I find the answers I'm looking for). Now my problem is finding a decent flac-playing app that will allow me to create playlists with a number of different file formats in it. I teach music at a university, so I'm constantly bringing in recordings to my classes - but I've got them in a number of different formats, and it's just an extra step if I have to convert everything to one format before every lecture, rather than simply having my recordings all handy in one place and being able to draw from them when I need them. Can do that with the external hard drive I have now in conjunction with the computer in the classroom, but it would be so much smoother if I could do it all from my iPad. Any suggestions?

OP
P

pcs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pcs said:
Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I was not aware of the filesharing option on iTunes (I'm totally new to mac products, and have always avoided iTunes as much as possible in the past - still figuring all this out. And, to be honest, I find Apple's various help sites really counterintuitive - I seem to dig forever before I find the answers I'm looking for). Now my problem is finding a decent flac-playing app that will allow me to create playlists with a number of different file formats in it. I teach music at a university, so I'm constantly bringing in recordings to my classes - but I've got them in a number of different formats, and it's just an extra step if I have to convert everything to one format before every lecture, rather than simply having my recordings all handy in one place and being able to draw from them when I need them. Can do that with the external hard drive I have now in conjunction with the computer in the classroom, but it would be so much smoother if I could do it all from my iPad. Any suggestions?

Should add that I have FLAC player and capriccio now. I find capriccio is very difficult to make decent playlists with, and flac player doesn't seem to allow for the use of flac files and mp3 files on the same playlist - but maybe I'm missing something.

FastAndFluid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This page is top of the Google search and in fact pretty much the ONLY hit for those searching how to load FLAC files into Capriccio. But it has no useful information whatsoever. The second reply says it is a link to a load of Google results on the answer but just takes you to a iTunes to buy another program. WTF?!

Numerous articles all over the web saying you can use Capriccio to play FLAC files from Dropbox on an iPad or iPhone but not one single explanation of how! This whole thread is completely pointless without some sort of clue as to how those who've managed to get this process to work explaining what they did.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
According to the App Store listing, this app has all the standard file movement abilities, including iTunes file transfer, web browser, and cloud support.

Probably the easiest is the web browser upload option. Go into the app and find the wifi transfer option/page and turn it on (if required). Note the IP address and then go to a PC on the same network and type in that address into a browser. A web interface to transfer files should open in the browser. Follow the on screen instructions to upload the required files to the Capriccio app.

FastAndFluid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The app doesn't have a wifi transfer option/page that I can see. What it DOES have is a "Media Explorer" page which offers the following options: "Capriccio File System" which just shows a couple of demo tracks and "Web Streaming". The "Web Streaming" works the opposite way round to what you'd expect - ie it prompts for a "Name" and a "URL". I want to transfer files from Dropbox but any attempts to use that have failed because there's no clue as to how to get the Dropbox location into the app in responses like those given at the top of this thread. I tried using the directly connected PC to just ignore DropBox altogether by entering the DHCP address for the PC (192.168.0.2) but then Capriccio just throws up a yellow Error page that says "Error 1201"

I'm now investigating another app called WALTR which has a support team that actually responds to email and shock! horror! example videos of how to transfer directly from PC to the iPhone, where Capriccio's take seems to be "We take your money and then just leave you to flounder" with not even the most basic support pages for the app. Frankly, I'm astonished that there are so many people recommending this app as a way to avoid using iTunes or use FLAC files given the lack of documentation and unfinished nature of the application several years after it first appeared. Even the startup screen asks "Which UI do you want to use?" and then when you select "New UI" gives you a long list of things that won't work in it. It's like a highschool kid wrote it as a project and then couldn't be bothered to finish it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keep in minfd that the thread is closing on 5 years old. I don't remember the dicusion, but it is possible that Capriccio was the best choice back then, when iOS was more limited. These days there are a slew of good apps that support FLAC.

Also, iOS rife with flash-in-the-pan apps. Devloper make a good app, can't figure out how to keep making money after the initial sales, and abandon it. When picking an app for the long haul it's a good idea to check the version history to see if the've been arround for a while, and that the app is recieving regular updates.

If Capriccio is the app I found in the App Store, it hasn't been updated since 2014.

FastAndFluid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in minfd that the thread is closing on 5 years old. I don't remember the dicusion, but it is possible that Capriccio was the best choice back then, when iOS was more limited. These days there are a slew of good apps that support FLAC

If Capriccio is the app I found in the App Store, it hasn't been updated since 2014.

Good points, but the reviews that all mentioned the program were all dated 2016! I've given up on the program. As it turns out what triggered this whole thing was the iTunes Match limit of 25,000 tracks that meant I was unable to load any new tracks onto my iTunes library (I'm a DJ and the priority is to get the newer CDs on my iPhone for listening to on the move, which I haven't been able to do since August 2015). It turns out that Apple finally recognised the fact this was an issue (not least because they'd never told us there was a limit when they took our money for the service) and increased the limit to 100,000 so I can go back to using iTunes Match.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wasn't the iTunes Match limit raised last summer? I'll have to check, but memory says it was supposed to go up to 100,000.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep, 100K now. Though it was only announced, kind of, in the summer. Didn't happen until arround December, I think. I left iTunes Match before then, since Apple Music was serving me better.

Subscribe to iTunes Match - Apple Support

More about iTunes Match
  • iTunes Match is limited to 100,000 songs.
  • iTunes Store purchases made with the same Apple ID being used for iTunes Match do not count towards the 100,000 song limit.
  • Unmatched content will be uploaded as is. Upload time varies depending on the amounts uploaded and local network speeds.
  • Song files larger than 200 MB won't be uploaded to iCloud.
  • Song files longer than two hours in length won't be uploaded to iCloud.
  • Songs containing DRM (Digital Rights Management) won't be matched or uploaded to iCloud unless your computer is authorized for playback of that content.

FastAndFluid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It did. As I pointed out in my last sentence in the post above yours :)

Means I can forget all this faffing around with these alternative solutions that don't work and just deal with the iTunes Match ones (the nightmare of the main PC having an album that then becomes seven albums on an iPhone, missing album artwork that's there on the master PC copy etc etc)

Most reactions

Latest posts