What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing contacts from windows 7 live mail

treveden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Newbie here, I have been a user of windows since ver. 3 . We decided to buy a tablet PC as a joint Christmas gift. Delighted with the ipad 4 retina . Working my way through it, still not figured out how to transfer email contacts from win 7 to the ipad. Using the USB cable to sync.

Amyderm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Amyderm here, of no help sorry, but I am having the same problem. I am new to iPad so thought it was me :( hope someone can shed some light for us....inputting manually is tedious.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I, too, have no answer for you. I hope that you do not have the same problem I did when I was setting up the contacts into my phone. When I would sync in iTunes my contacts would be erased. I changed settings and then got duplicates. I am using WinXp to sync to and my contacts sync from my iPad to my computer finally. Previously it was any change that was made to a contact on the iPad was reversed when I synced in iTunes. The computer had precedence over the changes. It was quite annoying.
So, check your settings in iTunes while your iPad is connected. I'm sure they will look different than what I see on my WinXP and not current iTunes, but the settings for syncing the contacts are available when you click on your iPad in the left side panel in the iTunes window. You'll have to scroll down on the right side panel where your iPad's information is displayed.

OP
T

treveden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, found this answer. It works:

If you are using Windows Live Mail (online version) with Windows 7, here's what I did. Hope it helps someone.
Before you do the following steps, in Windows Live Mail, export your contacts as a CSV file and save it where you can easily locate it.
1. Click on the little WINDOWS Ball in the lower left-hand corner of your screen (this is the same as clicking START).
2. Type WAB in the search box. The first thing that comes up SHOULD BE a file called WAB.EXE. Double-click so it opens up—it may or may not be empty. This file is NOT the same file as the windows live file so don’t worry about overwriting anything.
3. Click IMPORT at the top of the screen.
4. Select CSV, then click IMPORT again. It will ask you to find the file you want to import. Find the backup you made.
5. Once it’s done importing, you should see all your contacts.
6. Plug in your Apple device—iphone/ipad.
7. iTunes will launch automatically. Give it a minute to completely load etc.
8. At the top of the screen you will see: SUMMARY INFO APPS MUSIC MOVIES TV SHOWS etc. etc.
9. Click on INFO
10. You will see ‘SYNC CONTACTS WITH’. Make sure there is a check in the box and that after ‘with’ you see WINDOWS CONTACTS. If you don’t see WINDOWS CONTACTS, click on the drop-down menu and select it.
11. Then click on SYNC at the bottom right-hand corner of your screen and let it run.
12. That’s it!
14. To sync another device repeat steps 6-12

Good luck, merry Christmas

pearcemike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am ok down to item 9 INFO but no "SYNC CONTACTS WITH" appears -only "your contacts are being synched with your iPad over the air"I tried the Synch button but no result

Brian4882

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have managed to copy contacts from Live Mail to the iPad using your method, but the mapping seems to be incorrect as e-mail addresses appear under Other. How should they be mapped?

Hi, found this answer. It works:

If you are using Windows Live Mail (online version) with Windows 7, here's what I did. Hope it helps someone.
Before you do the following steps, in Windows Live Mail, export your contacts as a CSV file and save it where you can easily locate it.
1. Click on the little WINDOWS Ball in the lower left-hand corner of your screen (this is the same as clicking START).
2. Type WAB in the search box. The first thing that comes up SHOULD BE a file called WAB.EXE. Double-click so it opens up—it may or may not be empty. This file is NOT the same file as the windows live file so don’t worry about overwriting anything.
3. Click IMPORT at the top of the screen.
4. Select CSV, then click IMPORT again. It will ask you to find the file you want to import. Find the backup you made.
5. Once it’s done importing, you should see all your contacts.
6. Plug in your Apple device—iphone/ipad.
7. iTunes will launch automatically. Give it a minute to completely load etc.
8. At the top of the screen you will see: SUMMARY INFO APPS MUSIC MOVIES TV SHOWS etc. etc.
9. Click on INFO
10. You will see ‘SYNC CONTACTS WITH’. Make sure there is a check in the box and that after ‘with’ you see WINDOWS CONTACTS. If you don’t see WINDOWS CONTACTS, click on the drop-down menu and select it.
11. Then click on SYNC at the bottom right-hand corner of your screen and let it run.
12. That’s it!
14. To sync another device repeat steps 6-12

Good luck, merry Christmas

Brian4882

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible that the mapping is corrupted because the bulk of the contacts list in Live Mail were imported originally from Outlook express on a Windows XP machine?

Most reactions

Latest posts