What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing canon 7d HD video clips to iPad 2????

13clicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I shoot video on my canon camera and upload them to my ipad2 to view and open in iMovie? Tried to import to iTunes but they don't shown up in movies or camera roll. Help

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been a number of other posts on this Forum from members trying to do more-or-less what you are advocating with varying degrees of success. The general concencus seems to be that iMovie will only (easily) work with the iPad2's built-in camera. To be able to import movies from other cameras requires some fairly precise and protracted re-formatting. If you only want to be able to view the movie then a third-party app, such as oPlayer, might be an easier route.

If you really want to be able to import it into iMovie and don't mind reformatting the file on your PC/Mac then I can point you to the thread that discussed this.

Tim
Scotland

OP

13clicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes please direct me

Yes I've done a few searches but I have not figured out how... My files are .mov from canon. I'm on a stinkin pc so I need pc style software if possible.

There have been a number of other posts on this Forum from members trying to do more-or-less what you are advocating with varying degrees of success. The general concencus seems to be that iMovie will only (easily) work with the iPad2's built-in camera. To be able to import movies from other cameras requires some fairly precise and protracted re-formatting. If you only want to be able to view the movie then a third-party app, such as oPlayer, might be an easier route.

If you really want to be able to import it into iMovie and don't mind reformatting the file on your PC/Mac then I can point you to the thread that discussed this.

Tim
Scotland

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How can I shoot video on my canon camera and upload them to my ipad2 to view and open in iMovie? Tried to import to iTunes but they don't shown up in movies or camera roll. Help

Have a look at ReelDirector also instead of imovie.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You simply need to convert your Canon 7D HD video to the editing codec used by iMove just like you would do in Final Cut Pro. Conversion software is free and easy to use on a Mac or Windows. Then you import to iPhoto so that it can be synced via iTunes to your iPad.

I use the workflow explained in this video with my Canon 5DII video. Since it's converted DOWN to 720p from the higher resolution 1080p the image quality is excellent. Follow his directions, after one time it will be easy...

Workaround for using camcorder movies in iMovie for iOS | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

ExtremeStorms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can import canon 5D2 DSLR video into Imovie on the Ipad 2 and edit it just fine. I have a how to post on my website here. Also, I can import IPhone 4 video directly into the Ipad with the charge cable.

update: well, as this is my first post it won't let me put up a link so oh well. BTW, I'm importing raw canon video 1920x1080i 30p and it plays just fine on the ipad. You don't have to convert anything, also: canon raw files import just fine too.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple has updated the number of cameras supported by iMovie since this thread was last active. Good to know that the 5D2 is now supported , and probably most other Cannon DLSR's too. Thank you.

(or is it? maybe I misunderstood)

ExtremeStorms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
with iOS 5.O and Imovie 1.2.2 it's all possible now - Since mid October 2011. The bugs have been worked out. I've even brought in footage that was shot on a Sony NX5U, encoded on MPB FCP7 to H264 at 9000kbps and it imported on the SD card/adapter just fine.

Most reactions