What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

imovie on ipad2 can ONLY edit ipad videos

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new Final Cut Pro X will finally be able to take most video formats natively and automatically with no conversion needed (even pesky DSLR video!)

Maybe this will trickle down to the iPad 2 or 3.

macfrankencow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Converting zi8 video on the iPad directly

For what it's worth, I've got video from my zi8 working on iMovie2 for iPad/iPhone, WITHOUT using an intermediary PC/MAC

As a follow up, I am now converting my zi8 WGA video to be iMovie for iPad compatible directly on my iPad, using the following BASH script:

for f in *.MOV;
do
echo "processing video cli $f"
ffmpeg -y -i "$f" -vcodec copy -acodec libfaac -ac 2 -ar 44100 -ab 128k temp.MOV
mv temp.MOV "$f"
done

I mention this, just in case anyone else with a zi8 wants a complete iPad driven solution for converting their video.

Thanks....

-Tim

OnlyQuentin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get any video up to 720p to work with ipad [NO PC REQUIRED ]

HEY GUESS WHAT!!

I FOUND A WORKAROUND!!!!! GET ANY DSLR VIDEO UP TO 720p/30fps to work with imovie!! W()()T!!! [NO PC REQUIRED AT ALL!!!!]

Check my Video:
HTML:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8-crriMQms

:D:D:D YYEEE HHAWW!! Make sure to thank me baby :D:D:D:D

webvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't know iFile had that feature, nice find. Unfortunately the 720p MP4 files from my Sony digicam can be imported but the icon remains greyed out and won't play in the iPad Photos or ReelDirector. Oddly enough it plays fine with the stock iPad player when I select the file from iFile...

Ok, VLC tells me the MP4 is a 1440x1080, hum...let's see if I can go down to 720p.

OnlyQuentin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats a problem

Didn't know iFile had that feature, nice find. Unfortunately the 720p MP4 files from my Sony digicam can be imported but the icon remains greyed out and won't play in the iPad Photos or ReelDirector. Oddly enough it plays fine with the stock iPad player when I select the file from iFile...

Ok, VLC tells me the MP4 is a 1440x1080, hum...let's see if I can go down to 720p.

Yes, Ipad on its specification sheet can only support videos up to 720p....1440X1080 needs to be resized or reshot in 720p :)...then it will work with imovie and the sort through my way above! [NO PC REQUIRED}

Enjoy

webvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I tried again at 720p and still no luck, I'm guessing that this is due to the audio being AAC 48000hz when iMovie wants 44100Mhz, can you check the specs of your audio recordings?

ReelDirector does do a pretty good compression job with the original 720p file going from 13Mb to 5Mb and no obvious loss.

Maybe I'll just go with ReelDirector, unless iMovie has a killer feature I'm missing?

@macfrankencow - how long is the downsampling from 48000 to 4100 taking?

webvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So is the Flip MinoHD still the only option (other than the iPad/iPhone3/iPod G4) to get video into iMovie?

webvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right, although only the iPad 2 and Flip MinoHD let you access the files directly from the iPad 2, with the USB adapter for the Mino HD. With an iPhone or an iPod you'd need to transfer them to your computer first. Presumably the best video would be made by the MinoHD too.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPhone 4 videos transfer to the iPad 2 using the CCK without problem. The clips show up in iMovie as soon as I start a new project. I don't have a video capable iPod to check.

webvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah ok, didn't know the iPad recognized the media files from an iPhone like that, but it makes senses.

I'll try transcoding the 48Khz audio from my Sony camera to 44.1Khz to see if I can get the files recognized. VirtualDub should be a good tool for that.

webvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah ok, didn't know the iPad recognized the media files from an iPhone like that, but it makes senses.

I'll try transcoding the 48Khz audio from my Sony camera to 44.1Khz to see if I can get the files recognized. VirtualDub should be a good tool for that.
Well that didn't work too well. A big hassle and then for some reason the iPad loses the last few seconds of audio after importing the ..mp4 where the audio has been downsampled to 44Khz.

I see a Flip MinoHD in my near future...or an iPod Touch 4th Gen, not sure how the video quality compares though...

Most reactions

Latest posts