imovie on ipad2 can ONLY edit ipad videos

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by csrredcoat, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Broseph

Broseph
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    this is a little off-topic, but do you have to buy iMovie or is it pre-installed with the iPad 2?

2. Tarkio

Tarkio
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    You have to buy it from the app store.

3. jamesmckeephx

jamesmckeephx
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    OK so that imovie works with all flip cameras or just that one?

Sent from my evo on tapatalk

4. Dorje

Dorje
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    It's a question of the camera meeting the narrow range that iMovie will accept.

It sounds like it only takes .m4v files with no more the 44.1KHz audio, at resolutions no greater then... what 720p(? VGA (640x480)?

5. macfrankencow

macfrankencow
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    plists and jailbreaking

Has there been any work in the jail breaking community to expand the natively supported video/audio formats in ios?

For example, the iPad *can* play my zi8's 720p mp4 video files, but only through 3rd party apps like GoodReader (which contains *no* video codecs of its own). The same files won't play in either Apple's Photo's app or in the iMovie app. So, it seems apple has imposed some "artificial" limitations. (Basically, GoodReader is bypassing a certain check imposed by apple).

I've been googling, but I can't seem to find if there is a plist or anything in iOS that specifies the exact bit rates, etc. that Photos and iMovie allow.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

6. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    if you have a mac you can grab Turbo.264 HD video encoder (get it with the USB dongle for faster encodes) to convert any format to an iPad friendly mp4....works great, and its really fast.

7. kriskiter

kriskiter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
  8. Dorje

Dorje
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    macfrankencow good to know, and makes my point that perhaps a 3rd party could make a bit of money off Apple's oversight. Try reducing audio frequency of zi8's movies if you can and see if it was running at 48 Hz.

I'm starting to get a sneaking suspicion that is the main hold-up for many of the digital recorders that do make MP4 files. Also does it end in .MP4 or .M4V? Try renaming it in GoodReader to .M4V and then send it on to the PhotoApp and see it will play. It would be real ass if iMovie and Photo couldn't tell the difference or the lack of.

*edit*
    Thanks kriskiter for the link, that trick is always a good one to repeat. However there's something else going on beyond just the filenames and 720p MP4s (which many cameras are already putting out).

#108 Dorje, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  9. Tarkio

Tarkio
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Convert the video from any format you like to use it in iMovie. I use MPEG Streamclip (free download) to convert various video formats and sync via iPhoto to the iPad. It works very well.

Otherwise you can only use the video shot on the iPad, or you can transfer iPhone 4 720p video to iPad/iMovie via the camera connection kit.

10. jake1974

jake1974
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It'd be unrealistic to expect it to work with any video source, obviously. They could make it clear what formats it will handle though.