What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMovie for iPad2

maxvok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anybody already :ipad-movie: experience? Can I import raw avi files for my PC? I have bought not the app yet as I am still waiting for my Ipad2 :ipad-front:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting my teeth into it now. iMovie seems to be limited to 720p m4v file format with no more then 44.1 MHz sound.

Something odd I just came across. iMovie does not respect universal mute. If you have the sound up but the mute on iMovie will still play the sound.

jarv10k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really frustrated with how iMovie sees video files. I have tested 720p files recorded from 3 different cameras. Two of them have been able to played by the pad2. None of them have been recognizable by iMovie.

I ended up purchasing ReelDirector($1.99) after a few others were trying to address the problem and suggested its use.

I used our 720p test footage from a Canon 300HS. ReelDirector was able to recognize the video that was part of our last import. From there I rendered the video and saved it.

I fired iMovie back up and sure enough our test footage that ReelDirector converted was now listed and able to be imported for editing.

This does add an extra couple steps to any possible video editing workflow and ReelDirector unfortunately is slow when it comes to the "rendering" step.

The final footage saved after the rendering step did lose some quality, but it was still better quality than what the ipad 2 camera is able to record.

I have no idea if the developers of ReelDirector have any plans for future updates to what I think can be a very useful app.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Something odd I just came across. iMovie does not respect universal mute. If you have the sound up but the mute on iMovie will still play the sound.

The mute switch is actually a system mute i.e. for alerts, keyboard clicks etc. Many apps will also mute such as games etc. but apps like music or movie players won't and I guess iMovie falls into that category. To mute these apps, you need to hold the volume down button for a second.

Most reactions