What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imap.gmail.com is not responding ... Why?

rvarela

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to notify that, since this morning, everything is back to normal to me and many users. It seems like google finally solved the problem.

Solrac81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried all the fixes and nothing was working apart from accessing gmail via safari. Then all of a sudden yesterday morning all accounts were back up and running. Odd

logical

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gmail stopped working once I upgraded to iOS6. It's been a couple weeks now, no return. Suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

gfbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep getting the message 'Cannot connect to server', when I try to open my e-mail a/c.
My Broadband is working ...... It's just access to my messages that's all wonky.
Can anyone advise?

Kevin43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I finally gave up on Gmail it puts your mail in all different folders. I do not like this so I went with mailbox app you can use a Gmail account with it to.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gmail has been a bit problematical of late. The best thing to do is delete the account and re-enter the details making sure you put in the correct password. Gmail is an easy account to set up compared with some others. You are not alone with this problem but as to why it happens, anyone's guess. Lastly, once you have re-entered your account details successfully, reboot your iPad.
Let us know how you get on and good luck.
Mike

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you only use Gmail email, it's probably better to install an app, like Mailbox (as posted by Kevin43), which works great with Gmail accounts.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The main reason Mail (and some other email clients) has problems with Gmail is that Gmail has a non-standard implementation of IMAP. They lable emails, rather than place them in actual IMAP folders.

However, this should not affect the basic ability to connect to Gmail. Barçamad's suggestion of deleting and re-installing the account is your best bet.

If you have enabled Google's 2-step authentication you'll need to create a new app specific password for Mail when you try to add the account. You have to get this password using your Google account security settings via a web browser.

Most reactions

Latest posts