Imaging Discussions

Discussion in 'iPad for Photographers' started by Richard Brown, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Richard Brown

Richard Brown
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your post Andrew. That's a great story. I can see why you were so keen to but the OM D kit. It's very classy looking, and I'm so pleased to read that your interest in photography has been rekindled.

It's a great story.

Cheers

Richard

Sent from my iPad using iPF

2. Richard Brown

Richard Brown
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would like to introduce another area for discussion. What apps do you use for getting images, processing images and annotating images.

This screen shot shows what I have on my iPad . . .

image-2265012549.jpg

The apps fall into 4 groups.

1. Taking images - AmpliVision for taking zoomed photographs. The greater the zoom, the photo quality drops off quickly.
    Fotoscan HD turns the iPad into a hand held scanner. A pretty neat utility which turns the iPad into a more
    versatile field instrument.

2. Processing images - Snapseed allows you to crop, adjust colour brightness etc. it does a pretty good job.
    PhotoStudio HD does much the same job as Snapseed plus there is a gallery of special effects, frames
    etc. to give nice colour effects to turn photos into works of art.

3. Annotation and production - A+Signature. Add symbols, notes etc to an image. Its handy, but can be clumsy to use.
    Lightt. Produce time lapse sequences with the iPad and post on line. I find this app limited in
    scope, and hardly use it.

4. Image journals by others - NASA. For those amazing space shots etc.
    Amazing Universe. Much the same as NASA.
    Eye witness. Press photos of the day etc.

There's a taster of what I use and enjoy.

3. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Here are my apps, also under the general folder captioned "Photography"

[​IMG]

"Slideshow" I have found to be a nice app to control displays of my photo albums.

"Best Album" I've found to be a good album manager, mainly for displaying on the iPad overseas travel shots and various archives of research material catering for a few interests of mine where I have synced them onto the iPad from my PC**

"PS Express (Photoshop Express) I use almost exclusively for my photo manipulation/correction of shots taken with the iPad** (I think the PhotoStudio app you see here is also very good. But I use PS Express mainly; I guess just what I'm used to:) I find it works nicely with the Tapatalk forum app that I use to interact with this forum.

**I said I use PS Express for photos taken by the iPad to manipulate/correct shots in the iPad's Camera Roll and Photo Stream albums. For most of my "important" photography, travel, research etc I upload from the camera onto Google's "Picasa" album management/manipulation app on my Windows8 PC. I then, once manipulated where necessary, and arranged in suitable albums, sync those over to an app on the iPad called Web Albums. This works very well, where I can view all my albums on both the iPad and the PC. And if I like, I can still alter any of those shots with PS Express. I've tried to limit the number of apps here under the KISS principle;)
    Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Richard Brown

Richard Brown
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There has been some talk about occasional problems with putting photographs into posts. One suggestion was that this problem could occur with images which are larger than 15Mb.

Is there a size limit? I've never had any problems - then I tend to load small files of less than 2.0Mb. I have tried loading files of less than 500Kb, but the quality suffers, and the images cannot be readily enlarged without a loss of viewing quality.

5. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    No, it has nothing to do with file size. The image appears to upload, but at the end there's a dialog box that says the server has a bad plug-in or something and failed. Other times it works OK.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

6. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nevertheless, that is what is happening. The forum software spits out that error message when the uploaded file is too large. The limit is around 900Mb. If you attempt to upload too large a file from a Mac, it simply won't do it. Here's a partial screenshot, showing the error condition.

Screen Shot 2013-06-16 at 9.12.53 AM.png

The attempted file was a full screenshot from my 15" MBPr.

7. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Here's what I get with the IPF app:
    image-3647658559.jpg

The image that failed is 2.8 MB.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

#27 LannyC, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  8. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that's the one I've seen before, when I've attempted to upload large files. If you can trim it a bit, you will find that it will upload with no problems. I believe emailing it to yourself through a Hotmail account is a simple way to shrink an image. Gmail won't do it, because it doesn't attempt to compress the file.

EDIT: When I say "trim it a bit" I mean to less than 1 Mb. I know 850Kb works. I'm not sure exactly where the limit lies, but I think it's slightly greater than 1Mb

#28 KevinJS, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't seem to be consistent, I've successfully posted photos larger than that using the iPF app. Maybe the large photos I posted were automatically re-sized?

10. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Possible, I guess, but why would it do it on an arbitrary basis? The error message that Lanny managed to generate seems to indicate a problem with error handling, rather than a deliberate policy to limit file sizes.