What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image save function keeps failing

joeswife5807

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently transferred all of the photos I had on my ipad 2 to my new computer to free up space on my ipad. Before I did this i always used to save photos off the internet and photos I came across elsewhere to use as wallpapers and such. Never had a problem however since I transferred my pictures when I hit save image I get a message that says save failed. Any ideas how to fix this?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried to fully close the Photos app and then either restart or reset the iPad? To do (apologies if you know):

Fully Close an App: Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons in the multi-tasking bar. Press and hold an icon until they all start to wiggle and you see a red circle with a minus sign ("-") in the top left. Press the minus sign to fully close the app. Don't worry, it won't remove the app from your iPad, just from the iPad's resident memory.

Then...
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Hopefully, that sort it out... Do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
J

joeswife5807

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately neither option worked. It sound to me like the pathway to the save folder is broken. If it were a computer no problem but on the ipad I have no clue how to go about fixing it. If I cant figure it out I may take a ride to the apple store tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestion.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you put those photos on your computer from the iPad, did you do so via iTunes? Or, did you use the iPad as a USB and opened it with Windows Explorer (or whatev the Mac version is). If the latter, did you copy the photos or did you elect to "move" or "cut and paste" them?

If you moved them or cut/pasted them, then yes, you've messed up your Photos. The only way photos should be removed from the iPad is via iTunes or by deleting them from within the Photos app.

If that is what you did to put those photos on your computer, then I'm afraid you will have to "restore" the iPad to get it back to working properly. To restore it, connect it to iTunes and make a backup. Then, on the main Summary page, in iTunes, select the "Restore button. iTunes will do its magic and, when prompted, elect to "restore from backup" and select the backup you just made. Then, when all is done, your iPad should be just as it was (data and settings included).

This may save you a trip to the Apple Store (cause I'm pretty sure that this is what they will do). However, if you still decide to go to the Apple Store - do make a backup right before you go. That way, if they restore it (or replace it), you'll be able to put the backup on and carry on as before.

Sorry for your troubles.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts