What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sunflowers
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like there'll be a nice harvest there. The wheat and barley crops here in Saskatchewan won't be ready for harvest for another couple of months.
A few fields with winter wheat or winter barley have already been harvested, as far as I've seen. I haven't heard any complaints about the crop this year.

Couple of months? When do you harvest wheat and barley in Saskatchewan?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few fields with winter wheat or winter barley have already been harvested, as far as I've seen. I haven't heard any complaints about the crop this year.

Couple of months? When do you harvest wheat and barley in Saskatchewan?
They're usually harvested in late summer/early fall but occasionally as late as November or December if there's no snow and the early fall weather was too wet.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They're usually harvested in late summer/early fall but occasionally as late as November or December if there's no snow and the early fall weather was too wet.
Wow! Most of the areas in Austria are a few weeks "behind us". When we've finished our harvest, they start with theirs. I couldn't imagine it would be that late in your country.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tonight (July 3), Susan & I had a cookout and I grilled some hotdogs (a rare event) and we ate on our porch w/ some cole slaw & potato salad (the latter homemade & delicious) - we rarely eat hotdogs these days but choose the brand below - SO, the reason for the 'pics enjoyed' thread - these are delicious grilled w/ a little char on the skins - HAPPY JULY FOURTH! Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 10.28.44 PM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here's a photo from December 9, 2015 showing a farmer harvesting his wheat crop.
View attachment 72765
Photo credit: Regina Leader-Post

Weird, I've never seen wheat harvested that way, or with that kind of harvester. It looks like the wheet has already been cut and swept into rows. That's more typical for alphalfa and straw bailing.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Weird, I've never seen wheat harvested that way, or with that kind of harvester. It looks like the wheet has already been cut and swept into rows. That's more typical for alphalfa and straw bailing.
Straight combining is where the swather and combine are one unit and the standing wheat is swathed and combined in one operation. This can only be done when the wheat is dry. If there's any moisture in the wheat it's swathed and left to dry, then combined after it's dried out. This is what was shown in the photo in my earlier post. If the snow had come earlier last fall, the wheat would have been left in the field until spring. At that point it would have only been good enough for feed wheat.

Here's a video of straight combining.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We had clouds today, so I was hoping for a nice sunset. And I wasn't disappointed. I took quite a few photos with my DSLR, also deleted many of them, and now I can't decide which one of the remaining images not to post, because I like them equally. So here are the 7 that passed my exmination:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We had clouds today, so I was hoping for a nice sunset. And I wasn't disappointed. I took quite a few photos with my DSLR, also deleted many of them, and now I can't decide which one of the remaining images not to post, because I like them equally. So here are the 7 that passed my exmination:
View attachment 72789 View attachment 72790 View attachment 72791 View attachment 72792 View attachment 72793 View attachment 72794 View attachment 72795
I like the last and second last photos best but they're all quite good.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Straight combining is where the swather and combine are one unit and the standing wheat is swathed and combined in one operation. This can only be done when the wheat is dry. If there's any moisture in the wheat it's swathed and left to dry, then combined after it's dried out. This is what was shown in the photo in my earlier post. If the snow had come earlier last fall, the wheat would have been left in the field until spring. At that point it would have only been good enough for feed wheat.

Here's a video of straight combining.

Thanks. That makes sense.

It's pretty dry here in the summer and early fall, so the wheat ripens and drys long before the rains return in late fall. On the rare occation wheat goes bad from unseasonable raines there will still be enough dry weather to harvest it at a lower quality later, well before winter. If not, the crop is likely to be abandoned as lost, especialy since we dont' have the equiment to harvest using the swather method.

Straight combining is the only way I've ever seen wheat harvested. Even in the olden days, the swathing and combining were doen on the same day; though by two differnt machines and work crews.

Your picture is a common sight here this time of year. Though when I grew up most of the combines were Red Internationals, not the green John Deers.

Most reactions

Latest posts