What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've got the Kindle edition of both volumes of Birds of America. Here's the page on the Carolina Parrot.

Over the years visiting numerous museums, we've seen quite a few Audubon originals, both his original watercolor paintings and of course the color engravings in books - below a little information about the process (Source, both quotes). The colors and detail of my giclée print are well done and likely a faithful reproduction - NOW, have to decide where to put the print? ;) Dave

About 1820, around the age of 35, Audubon declared his intention to paint every bird in North America. In his bird art, he mainly forsook oil paint, the medium of serious artists of the day, in favour of watercolours and pastel crayons (and occasionally pencil, charcoal, chalk, gouache, and pen and ink). As early as 1807, he developed a method of using wires and threads to hold dead birds in lifelike poses while he drew them.

The Birds of America is a book by naturalist and painter John James Audubon, containing illustrations of a wide variety of birds of the United States. It was first published as a series in sections between 1827 and 1838, in Edinburgh and London.

The work consists of hand-coloured, life-size prints, made from engraved plates, measuring around 39 by 26 inches (99 by 66 cm). It includes images of six now-extinct birds: Carolina parakeet, passenger pigeon, Labrador duck, great auk, Esquimaux curlew, and pinnated grouse. The plant-life backgrounds of some 50 of the bird studies were painted by Audubon's assistant Joseph Mason and reproduced uncredited in the book.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a nice orchid I saw at the store I work at.
image.jpeg

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Further info on the “bathroom bill” referred to in one of the “Audubon” posts: We are embarrassed that our NC legislature has gotten nationwide ridicule by passing a law saying that transgender people must use the restroom for their original genders, e.g. a person who dresses like and identifies as a woman must use the men’s room, and vice-versa. It also does not extend worker protection to LBGT workers. Because of this bill, many entertainers and businesses have boycotted NC, thus threatening our state’s economy.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like you had a good workout with your camera yesterday. I noticed the wind turbines in the background of the circus photo from Neusiedl. Are there many of them in the area?
There are quite a few. At night, I can see their red lights flashing on the horizon.
image.jpeg

There are turbines along the line from Neusied to Andau (1), and in the area we call "Parndorfer Platte" (2).

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Further info on the “bathroom bill” referred to in one of the “Audubon” posts: We are embarrassed that our NC legislature has gotten nationwide ridicule by passing a law saying that transgender people must use the restroom for their original genders, e.g. a person who dresses like and identifies as a woman must use the men’s room, and vice-versa. It also does not extend worker protection to LBGT workers. Because of this bill, many entertainers and businesses have boycotted NC, thus threatening our state’s economy.
Not sure your State's economy has much to do with the topic of this thread Susan of North Carolina (suenc?). Or the sexual proclivities of some people of your State for that matter (a topic not exactly at the forefront of our rules if you would care to read them). Best to concentrate and continue to give more "likes" on the travelogues by Dave (that are excellent, well researched and readable) with the fine dining and descriptions of luxurious accommodation that you both do so well. Just IMHO.
Andrew

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Andrew - thanks for your kind comments about my travelogues and glad that you are enjoying them - have a few more posts about Savannah to add. Concerning the so-called North Carolina 'Bathroom Bill', just an embarrassment for many of us in the state, but I keep away from religion & politics in forums, even in the 'Diners' of some of those I frequent - SO, no more on the topic from me - ;) Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a gift from some parents (those from our second grade students). Every teacher got one of them. This is mine, at home.
f5ae9d2bddb94f942a81fe22849102f2.jpg

Detail
0116b1f9365c8f5a0f0f97c5adbc5985.jpg
That was a wonderful thing for the parents to give to you and the other teachers.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is a gift from some parents (those from our second grade students). Every teacher got one of them. This is mine, at home.
f5ae9d2bddb94f942a81fe22849102f2.jpg

Hi Johanna - very nice bouquet - assume part of a Teacher's Appreciation day?

In the United States, a tradition that goes back to Eleanor Roosevelt (quote below - Source) - Dave :)

Political and educational leaders first began discussions for a day to honor teachers in 1944. In 1953, Eleanor Roosevelt persuaded the 81st Congress to proclaim National Teachers’ Day. Congress declared March 7, 1980, as National Teacher Day. The National Education Association continued to observe Teacher Day on the first Tuesday in March until 1985, when the National PTA established Teacher Appreciation Week as the first full week of May. The NEA Representative Assembly then voted to make the Tuesday of that week National Teacher Day. National Teacher Day is an unofficial national holiday.
Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 5.14.43 PM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts