What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Stunning.

I've been to the Alhambra in Spain so I know that as nice as these picture are, they are even better looking in person.

I'll try to find some Alhambra pictures to complement you nice shots.

Hi Bob - thanks for your comments - I've been to Europe about a dozen times but not to Spain (have been to Portugal & Madeira) - I studied art history as an undergrad and know the Moorish architecture of southern Spain - looking forward to your pics! Dave :)

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They were taken with a crummy camera. All I had was a point and shoot that year, I didn't want to bring my SLR, we traveled light (one carry-on each), took public transportation all over Spain for a month and had a great time. Loved Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, and dozens of other spots.

Alhambra from the next hill:
! IMG_3107.jpg

Interior and exterior shots that came out. No flash inside and the camera didn't take interiors very well.

I have more, but these are representative. There were also thousands I couldn't get. The Alhambra is very crowded, and you have to keep moving - but it was worth it. Parts of it take your breath away.

! IMG_3173.jpg

! IMG_3189.jpg

! IMG_3192.jpg

! IMG_3132.jpg

! IMG_3192.jpg

The Mezquita near Cordoba (Mosque turned Cathedral) is stunning as well.

Attachments

• ! IMG_3132.jpg
    ! IMG_3132.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 147
  • !IMG_3161.jpg
    !IMG_3161.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, I think I screwed up the upload pictures above. (I know I did) Should have done them one at a time and exercised a bit of patience.

Got a duplicate and one is in a thumbnail.

Bob

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
More Spain?

"Palau de la Música Catalana" (Music Palace), is a concert hall designed by the architec Lluís Domènech i Montaner and opened in 1908. It's stunning inside and the acoustics are outstanding. We did Spain in 2013 and brought a lame point-and-shoot so the pictures don't do it justice. If you ever get to Barcelona, do what you can to see it. We had to take a tour since there were no concerts while we were in town, but we did get to hear a rehearsal and that was enough to hear the sweet sound of that hall.

IMG_2850.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sun Studio - Memphis, Tennessee

In the thread on this day in history, I just left a post about the Million Dollar Quartet session that occurred on this day in 1956 at Sun Studio (Memphis, TN) - the spontaneous event brought together Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash & Jerry Lee Lewis. Sam Phillips ran Sun Studio and was a seminal music producer in many different genres emerging in the East Tennessee area in the late 1940s and 1950s - his vast importance is told in the quote below.

Recently, a book on Phillips called Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock 'n' Roll by the well known writer Peter Guralnick was published this year - the author was recently interviewed on NPR - I heard the program and a recommendation, if available online?

Sun Studios is opened to the public for tours (I've been there twice over a number of decades) - so a MUST visit if you are in Memphis and are fond of early Rock 'n' Roll - below are some pics of the outside of the studio - one inside image of Studio 1 and a pic of the young Sam Phillips. Dave :)

Sam Phillips is not just one of the most important producers in rock history, he is also one of the most important figures in 20th-century American culture. As owner and founder of his Memphis Recording Service Studio and Sun Record Company, he was the vital creative innovator at the epicenter of establishing rock n’ roll as the fresh, new, global music of the 20th-century era. He produced, recorded, inspired and launched the careers of the artists that originally defined this new musical sound…Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Charlie Rich, B.B. King, Ike Turner, Howlin’ Wolf, Little Milton, Rufus Thomas, and so many more. Sam first made his mark (and a very deep one) with electric rhythm and blues by African American performers. He will always be remembered for all of the music he created, but probably most remembered for legendary rock n’ roll artists, particularly Elvis Presley.

Phillips was a native of Florence, Alabama and a graduate of Coffee High School. In 1986, Sam Phillips was the first inductee in the first group inducted in the Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame, and his pioneering contribution to the genre has been recognized by the Rockabilly Hall of Fame. In 1987, he was inducted into the Alabama Hall of Fame. He received a Grammy Trustee’s Award for his lifetime achievements in 1991. In 1998, he was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame, and in October 2001, he was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame (Source).
Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 11.31.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 11.32.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 11.34.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 11.35.19 AM.png

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sun Studio - Memphis, Tennessee

In the thread on this day in history, I just left a quote about the Million Dollar Quartet session that occurred on this day in 1956 at Sun Studio (Memphis, TN) - the spontaneous event brought together Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash & Jerry Lee Lewis. Sam Phillips ran Sun Studio and was a seminal music producer in many different genres emerging in the East Tennessee area in the late 1940s and 1950s - his vast importance is told in the quote below.

Recently, a book on Phillips called Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock 'n' Roll by the well known writer Peter Guralnick was published this year - the author was recently interviewed on NPR - I heard the program and a recommendation, if available online?

Sun Studios is opened to the public for tours (I've been there twice over a number of decades) - so a MUST visit if you are in Memphis and are fond of early Rock 'n' Roll - below are some pics of the outside of the studio - one inside image of Studio 1 and a pic of the young Sam Phillips. Dave :)

View attachment 69270 View attachment 69271 View attachment 69272 View attachment 69273
I recently watched the Johnny Cash movie "walk The Line" Sam Phillips was portrayed in the movie as giving Johnny Cash the break that launched his career.
The studio is something I would definitely visit if I ever get to Memphis.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I recently watched the Johnny Cash movie "walk The Line" Sam Phillips was portrayed in the movie as giving Johnny Cash the break that launched his career.
The studio is something I would definitely visit if I ever get to Memphis.

Recently, I bought that movie on blu-ray (the video & audio were rated 4.5/5 & 4.6/5 and the sound is excellent - Source) - Sam Phillips was certainly a pivotal influence in the careers of many musicians and singers, such as Cash, Presley, Orbison, and so many others both black & white.

About 4-5 years ago, Susan & I few into Memphis for a 4-night visit and ran out of time (years ago I took my teenage son to Memphis, a 'men's trip' and rented a car for a drive into Mississippi - to discover the 'Delta Blues' - we were both avidly collecting blues CDs at the time). But just to mention some of the attractions: 1) Peabody Hotel (a MUST stay w/ the ducks in the lobby); 2) Sun Studio (as already discussed); 3) Beale Street (to eat & hear music; W.C. Handy Park); 4) Stax Museum of American Soul Music; 5) Memphis Rock n Roll Museum; 6) Gibson Guitar Factory & Sales Shop (bought Susan a guitar there); 7) Graceland (Elvis Presley House); and 8) Mississippi Riverfront (Park & Riverboat rides) - below some pics of the attractions. Dave :)
Memphis_BealeStreet.png
Memphis_StaxSigh.png
Memphis_StaxAmMAmSoulMusic.png
Memphis_RocknSoulMuseum.png
Memphis_Gibson.png
Memphis_Graceland.png

Most reactions

Latest posts