What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From The Public Domain Review: Hand-colourised still from George Méliès' La Voyage Dans la Lune (1902) - I love that movie.
Hand-colourised still from George Méliès' La Voyage Dans la Lune (1902).jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A few images from Carnuntum yesterday (iPhone)
View attachment 67938 Road.................

Thanks Johanna - I love these old archeologic sites around the world - this one an old Roman city - below a visual recreation of the Amphitheatre & Gladiator School - must have been part of a huge town looking at the potential number of spectators that the theatre could accommodate. I own a LOT of documentary DVDs and all of the newer ones on these historic topics & sites now do computer reconstructions that can be absolutely amazing. Dave :)

The Roman amphitheatre at Carnuntum held around 13000 spectators and contemporary inscriptions claimed that it was the fourth largest amphitheatre in the Roman Empire and frequently used for gladiatorial games. Despite the extensive excavations surrounding the amphitheatre the area that contained the school of gladiators attracted little attention and the first hints that there was an important building here came from analysis of aerial photographs and intial GPR measurements by the team ZAMG Archeo Prospections®. The LBI-ArchPro team decided to investigate these remains using a MIRA high-resolution ground penetrating radar system which could cover the area in a matter of hours. The exceptional building, identified through non-invasive GPR survey as the school for gladiators, is almost unique in the Roman Empire for its size and completeness. the archaeological interpretation of the GPR data revealed amazing details of the building complex which made it possible to create a virtual reality reconstruction model (Source).
Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 10.25.21 AM.png

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna - I love these old archeologic sites around the world - this one an old Roman city - below a visual recreation of the Amphitheatre & Gladiator School - must have been part of a huge town looking at the potential number of spectators that the theatre could accommodate. I own a LOT of documentary DVDs and all of the newer ones on these historic topics & sites now do computer reconstructions that can be absolutely amazing. Dave :)

View attachment 67950
Part of the exhibition is a model of Carnuntum, where you can see it's original size. Compared to that, the parts that can be viewed are a tiny fraction of the former settlement. There are two amphitheatres near the excavations. One of them is smaller. I suppose you found a recreation of the other one.

I was in Carnuntum, also visited one of the amphitheatres two years ago and posted pictures in my thread. There are more photos than the ones in this post - if you're interested what it looks like now.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Part of the exhibition is a model of Carnuntum, where you can see it's original size. Compared to that, the parts that can be viewed are a tiny fraction of the former settlement. There are two amphitheatres near the excavations. One of them is smaller. I suppose you found a recreation of the other one.

I was in Carnuntum, also visited one of the amphitheatres two years ago and posted pictures in my thread. There are more photos than the ones in this post - if you're interested what it looks like now.

Thanks again - on the third page of your Austrian travelogue - chick the link for those interested - that is certainly an impressive site to visit - I've been to Italy a couple of times and of the many places seen, Pompeii was impressive (probably even more so now, since that particular trip was in 1971). Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts