What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Andrew - yes we went to Murano and bought a set of 6 wine glasses in Venice (assume from the island but cannot remember - several of the glasses were damaged and we donated the rest to a church auction). About 10 years ago there was a traveling exhibit of Murano glass (below a partial description from HERE) - after leaving Detroit, the collection came to the Uptown Mint Museum in Charlotte, North Carolina in 2005 - we did an overnight; a remarkable eclectic assortment of glass works done over nearly a century. Below a couple of images from the collection found on the web - assume we saw most of those pieces? Dave :)

View attachment 66402 View attachment 66403
Dave, that's a real pity about the broken Murano wine glasses... I can imagine they would have looked great at home.
That link made for interesting reading; thanks mate:)
Andrew

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave, that's a real pity about the broken Murano wine glasses... I can imagine they would have looked great at home.......

Hi Andrew - well, we bought 6 glasses in Venice but before I really got into 'wine' as a hobby - the glasses were flared outward (so not good for capturing the bouquet), the glass was decorative (so not good for seeing the wine), and the stems were elaborate & fragile) - in the late '70s & '80s, our house was commonly used for family visits and over the years several of the glasses were broken accidentally; and when I realized that the above applied, we no longer used them for wine - their auction at the church did bring in a nice donation. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A series of four garage doors in my neighbourhood.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Devin Leonardi (1981-2014) - we saw an exhibit yesterday of a fascinating artist who took his own life last year; born in Illinois and died in Montana - despite his short career (a description below from the SECCA curator's writeup and a pic of Leonardi) - three phases were defined - I particularly like his earlier work where he would use old photos from the early 1900s and 1800s to give his paintings a photographic appearance until seen more closely. Below just a few of the works from the exhibit. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 12.34.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 12.34.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 12.40.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 12.39.54 PM.png
attachments-000000004-original-000002805_20100612231235_Hamilton+Nevada-1280x1026.jpg
judith_mountain_web.jpg

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You got some nice photos there. I'd certainly visit an exhibit like this if it were in my area.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Johanna - thanks for the photos - I've been a dinosaur enthusiast since childhood and continue to read books on earth's long history.

Now, for those who want to see an excellent simulation of these 'beasts' appearing alive, I would suggest the BBC production shown below made about 15 years ago - may just watch again tonight! Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 11.33.14 AM.png

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great picture of the foggy morning! It looks like one of those old-style sepia photos. Was that a feature you chose as a camera function or is it due to the sunrise? It can't be polution, not where you live:D
Andrew
Thanks, Andrew! :)
It was an effect of the sunrise. I don't know whether or not my camera has this feature. :oops: I wouldn't use it, if it were available, tbh. :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Johanna - thanks for the photos - I've been a dinosaur enthusiast since childhood and continue to read books on earth's long history.

Now, for those who want to see an excellent simulation of these 'beasts' appearing alive, I would suggest the BBC production shown below made about 15 years ago - may just watch again tonight! Dave :)
View attachment 66442
I bought the DVD when it first came out. It's very enjoyable and used state of the art computer animation to give a very good idea of how dinosaurs looked and moved.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I bought the DVD when it first came out. It's very enjoyable and used state of the art computer animation to give a very good idea of how dinosaurs looked and moved.

Hi Scifan.. - agree! Just an outstanding production for that period - wonder w/ today's CGI technology what could be done now?

Yesterday, I had a small package of blu-ray discs arrive, so watched instead the two below - Starman from 1984 w/ Jeff Bridges & Karen Allen - has been a favorite sci-fi film for years (gone from VHS tape -> DVD -> BD); short synopsis below from the web - for those into this genre who want to appreciate a story rather than repetitive CGI graphics & explosions, then highly recommended!

Muscle Shoals - 2013 documentary about FAME studios in northern Alabama - for those interested, see my travelogue on a trip that we took to the Florence, Alabama area a few years ago and visited the studio for a tour; again, if you are into this music, this is a MANDATORY watch - the blu-ray presentation was rated 4.5/5.0 for both video and audio HERE - Dave :)

Answering a NASA message intended for aliens, a space being tries to contact mankind, but an American missile grounds his ship. Scrambling, the so-called Starman (Jeff Bridges) inhabits the body of a late W]isconsinite and kidnaps the dead man's widow, Jenny Hayden (Karen Allen). Determined to reunite with a vessel from his home planet at a predetermined site, Starman and Jenny travel to Arizona. Pursued by military officials trying to kill him, Starman forges a lasting bond with Jenny.
Starman_BD.png
MuscleShoals_BD.png

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"Muscle Shoals" and "The Wrecking Crew" are two very important movies for anyone who is interested in the people who actually played the instruments on the pop music of the 60s and 70s. Both get my highest recommendation.

Most reactions