What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope they'll be extinguished soon, if that's possible.
So do I. The problem is that new fires are started by lightning and careless people as fast as they put out the existing fires.

image.jpg

This photo shows how they use water bombers to fight fires like the ones burning right now in northern Saskatchewan.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nice photos. Wile we don't get the swans where I live, we certainly have lots of Canada Geese. In some places you have to watch carefully where you step on account of the deposits left by the geese.

Well, I thought that these geese were 'continuous poop machines' but a much more reliable discussion HERE - actually these birds are making permanent homes in many places and have basically stopped migrating - we saw plenty in the Georgia mountains. Interestingly, on our last visit to Blowing Rock, the Chetola Resort seemed to have gotten rid of a lot of the geese seen on previous trips (and the lawn was much cleaner! ;)) - not sure 'how' this was done, but apparently has been a contentious issue in some locales, i.e. those who find the birds a nuisance vs. those supporting animal protection rights (NOW, I'm not taking a stand here but just stating a fact). Dave :)

P.S. we love eating birds, e.g. pheasants, quail, ducks, etc. - does anyone cook a Canada goose? Just an honest question - don't know?

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here in South Florida the ecosystem needs fire. The pine forests, saw palmetto, and other plants would not exist without them. The fires are naturally caused by lightning and they control the hardwoods, which would choke out the pine-lands. The pines and palmettos discard their own tinder to promote the fires, and after the fire has burnt everything they come back to life. We even have one species of pine that has cones that won't open to spread the seeds until after a fire has come through.

In the 1940-50s it was the practice of the forest service to put out the fires. The problem was that during the 1960s the tinder got so built up that the fires blazed out of control and hotter than nature intended. Instead of the normal brush fires, they became forest fires that burned so hot they were consuming the pines. We had to import some of those Canadian fire-fighting planes to save the area. The smoke was so think the sunsets were surreal here on the East Coast and the air was hazy and it didn't smell very good. Now they intentionally start fires (prescribed burns) because they don't want that to happen again, and development has fragmented some of the wild lands to the point where the natural low-level brush fires can't travel.

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Many years ago, we were traveling to the Badlands and area for some sightseeing/nature vacation. We stopped at a motel for the night near Vermillion South Dakota and saw this poster:
SCHUSTERSISTERS.JPG

It led us to "America's Shrine To Music Museum" which is now called, the "National Music Museum" and is located on the campus of the University of South Dakota.

If we hadn't seen the poster and asked the desk clerk about it, we might have missed a wonderful treat for the eyes and ears.

We spent the entire day there and if you are ever in the areal, we heartily recommend it. Especially if you like music and history.

http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/

The web site itself is worth a visit.

Bob

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since they can be legally hunted in Saskatchewan, I'm sure plenty are cooked and eaten every year.

Well, the next obvious question is 'have you had a Canadian goose'? I'd suspect a meat and taste similar to ducks or a pheasant (which we eat several times a year on holidays - pretty much like eating turkey, i.e. breast much lighter & drier and thigh/leg darker, moister, and a little more gamey). Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Many years ago, we were traveling to the Badlands and area for some sightseeing/nature vacation. We stopped at a motel for the night near Vermillion South Dakota and saw this poster:

It led us to "America's Shrine To Music Museum" which is now called, the "National Music Museum" and is located on the campus of the University of South Dakota.

If we hadn't seen the poster and asked the desk clerk about it, we might have missed a wonderful treat for the eyes and ears.

We spent the entire day there and if you are ever in the areal, we heartily recommend it. Especially if you like music and history.

http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/

Hi again Bob - I've seen that photo and am aware of that museum which would be a definite visit if we ever vacation in the area - I have read a LOT about American music over the decades, especially from the last century (blues, jazz, pre-50s pop, etc.) - as a teen, I played the accordion, and Lawrence Welk was a TV watch in my early years (parents loved him) - assume that he had a prominent exhibit there?

BUT, not until I was older and learned more about musical America of the '30s that Welk's influences became more obvious to me - he use to tour in that decade and the jazz greats of the times, such as Basie out of Kansas City hated to show up after a Welk appearance in those plains states w/ so many immigrant populations that loved his music. Thanks for the post! Dave :)

P.S. now don't 'ya all' laugh, but here I am in my late teens w/ my maternal grandmother - :D
DaveBlancheAccordion copy.jpg

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the next obvious question is 'have you had a Canadian goose'? I'd suspect a meat and taste similar to ducks or a pheasant (which we eat several times a year on holidays - pretty much like eating turkey, i.e. breast much lighter & drier and thigh/leg darker, moister, and a little more gamey). Dave :)
Unfortunately not.:( I don't hunt and you can't buy them in the grocery store.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi again Bob - I've seen that photo and am aware of that museum which would be a definite visit if we ever vacation in the area - I have read a LOT about American music over the decades, especially from the last century (blues, jazz, pre-50s pop, etc.) - as a teen, I played the accordion, and Lawrence Welk was a TV watch in my early years (parents loved him) - assume that he had a prominent exhibit there?

BUT, not until I was older and learned more about musical America of the '30s that Welk's influences became more obvious to me - he use to tour in that decade and the jazz greats of the times, such as Basie out of Kansas City hated to show up after a Welk appearance in those plains states w/ so many immigrant populations that loved his music. Thanks for the post! Dave :)

P.S. now don't 'ya all' laugh, but here I am in my late teens w/ my maternal grandmother - :D
View attachment 65870
Do you still play?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do you still play?

Well, yes & no - actually I drag that accordion in the pic posted of me w/ my grandmother to North Carolina and several keys went out of tune, so donated it to Goodwill years ago - but when I retired I bought a 'smaller' accordion (below) and started to practice again - can play a handful of songs but have not really devoted enough time - however, fun to play the 'new' squeeze box and I can still make some simple songs sound well - Dave :)
AccordionRosetti72Bass.jpg

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, the next obvious question is 'have you had a Canadian goose'?

Canada Goose: a species of wild waterfowl. Canadian goose: a goose that goes "honk, eh." ;)

Canada Geese have no instinct to migrate. They follow their parents the first time and learn the behavior. If they live where there's at least a little open water most of the winter and are fed by clueless humans who don't know any better, they tend to stick around rather than fly south. Their offspring will have neither instinct nor role models, and will be doomed to waste their lives fouling peoples' lawns. Annoying as they are, they are still protected by Federal law and the Migratory Bird Treaty from being harassed or killed outside of legal hunting seasons. They're a problem with which we have still not come to terms.

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 65870
A lovely picture, Dave. That smile on your granny's face Is just great!:) You're lucky to have memorable family photos like those.
Andrew

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So do I. The problem is that new fires are started by lightning and careless people as fast as they put out the existing fires.

View attachment 65865
This photo shows how they use water bombers to fight fires like the ones burning right now in northern Saskatchewan.
Is that fire bomber the one they call "Elvis"? Adelaide hired one of those from Canada last summer and media called it Elvis.
Andrew

Most reactions

Latest posts