What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, just returned from our trip to Hilton Head Island - we were there on my birthday and actually the very day were shopping in the art district of the small historic town of Bluffton, SC on the mainland just a half hour drive from the Omni Resort shown in my previous post.

So as a 'birthday present', we purchased a small wooden vase (first two pics below) - this is an example of segmented woodworking (check HERE), i.e. pieces of wood (these are varied, combined, and often exotic varieties) are glued together and layered; then, often turned on a lathe to make a vase - bowls, boxes, etc. can also be constructed - a couple of more examples are shown in the next two images from the web - the larger & more intricate pieces are usually quite expensive.

In my vase, the two woods used are figured bubinga & buckeye burl - the last two images are solid body guitars made from these two woods - now, I'm an amateur woodworker and have quite a nice workshop but decided not to add a lathe to my equipment list - I've been 'eyeing' these segmented bowls & vases for a number of years, but this is our first purchase. Dave :)
View attachment 64095 View attachment 64096 View attachment 64097 View attachment 64098 View attachment 64099 View attachment 64100
There's quite an amazing display of talent in those vases and guitars. Thanks for showing us.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, just returned from our trip to Hilton Head Island - we were there on my birthday and actually the very day were shopping in the art district of the small historic town of Bluffton, SC on the mainland just a half hour drive from the Omni Resort shown in my previous post.

So as a 'birthday present', we purchased a small wooden vase (first two pics below) - this is an example of segmented woodworking (check HERE), i.e. pieces of wood (these are varied, combined, and often exotic varieties) are glued together and layered; then, often turned on a lathe to make a vase - bowls, boxes, etc. can also be constructed - a couple of more examples are shown in the next two images from the web - the larger & more intricate pieces are usually quite expensive.

In my vase, the two woods used are figured bubinga & buckeye burl - the last two images are solid body guitars made from these two woods - now, I'm an amateur woodworker and have quite a nice workshop but decided not to add a lathe to my equipment list - I've been 'eyeing' these segmented bowls & vases for a number of years, but this is our first purchase. Dave :)
View attachment 64095 View attachment 64096 View attachment 64097 View attachment 64098 View attachment 64099 View attachment 64100
Belated "many happy returns of the day" Dave.:)
We've seen some excellent examples of your wood work in the past which IMO go further than "amateur". Those are beautiful examples of the wood-working art. That vase is bound to take pride of place in your den.
Andrew

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of my usual before sunset-photos
image.jpg

And here's an unusual one
image.jpg

Both pictures were taken with my Canon. I took the first one with my iPhone as well, it's almost as good as the one from my DSLR.
This photo was taken with my iPhone:
image.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Belated "many happy returns of the day" Dave.:)
We've seen some excellent examples of your wood work in the past which IMO go further than "amateur". Those are beautiful examples of the wood-working art. That vase is bound to take pride of place in your den.
Andrew

Thanks Andrew - have returned home and cannot decide where to put that new vase, but it is beautifully done! Dave :)

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks scifan, I'm glad you got a smile today. Did you notice in the dog and the Falcon ( looks like to me ). Where their legs are? Is that what I think it is? I thought they were banned years ago!?
The guy up the tree is in a bad way! He either has diaper or longjohn's on because of the thickness of material in the dogs mouth . :cool::p:D
How do I keep duplicating photos in this post when in preview they are all lined up just the way I selected them? Open to all input regarding this.
What I wondered was who was the guy taking the photo? Was he friend or foe?:):rolleyes:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks scifan, I'm glad you got a smile today. Did you notice in the dog and the Falcon ( looks like to me ). Where their legs are? Is that what I think it is? I thought they were banned years ago!?
The guy up the tree is in a bad way! He either has diaper or longjohn's on because of the thickness of material in the dogs mouth . :cool::p:D
How do I keep duplicating photos in this post when in preview they are all lined up just the way I selected them? Open to all input regarding this.
What I wondered was who was the guy taking the photo? Was he friend or foe?:):rolleyes:
That's a hunting falcon, what you see on its legs are jessies, used by the falconer to control the bird.

Most reactions

Latest posts