What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm not updating to 4.2.....

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Back ups are faster with is 4.2., with the previous 3.2.2, it took longer

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am a little worried about updating - I want the new features, most of them, but my past experience with updating my iPod OS have not been good, requiring me having to go to the Apple Store, not that I minded that :), to get the PROs to fix it - and its happened twice! My conclusion was that my iPod was trying to do three or four things at once and that caused the problem; 1) since I use a Windows PC, I plug in the iPod and the first thing it does is load the device, 2) iTunes says, "Oh, one of my devices just hooked up, I should open, 3) iTunes starts looking for updates, and 4) once found, wants to begin installing the update.

Next time, I think I'll let it finish one thing at a time. But, once I get over this fear, I'm ready.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For a company that prides itself on making things "just work", they sure have tied their products to a giant pile of dog @&#@ called iTunes. Seriously, there is no reason it should take 4 hours to backup an iPad that is half full with media, especially when you arent even backing up the 4 gb of music of the 8gb of data that is on it. iTunes is horrible, and it really taints every iOS device. How can these devices be "magical" when you HAVE to use this horrible iTunes for it to function? They can't.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My gosh. Am I happy to only have some books, mags and games on my iPad.
It takes about 30secs to back up and my memory on the iPad is more or less an empty slate.
I couldn't stand the idea of yet another media database on my PC which adds to the data duplicates I already have.
Music is on my mp3 player, pictures are done exclusively in an adequate program and the movies I watch (if I do so) play in cinemas or on TV. So I told iTunes to only take care of the apps.
As for the books and mags, I use goodreader mostly. It doesn't need yet another database and a watchdog for folders hogging down my PC.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. True on iTunes working better on OSX than on PC. Much better.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is always a pain to update the os of idevices.
I love idevices but I hate using itunes.
I have been using Creative Zen players for years .it is so easy to transfer music/videos from pc to the player. Just drag and drop.
Now I'm still downloading os 4.2. keep my fingers crossed, there is no time out error or I have to start from square 1.

Exactly. That's why I sold my iPods and got myself a Sony Walkman. My next phone will be a droid too.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the backup take two hours.. install went fine.

I honestly don't see the big hype of it all.. only difference I noticed was multi-tasking (which I'm hating right now..) and my trusty rotation switch is now a worthless mute.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. True on iTunes working better on OSX than on PC. Much better.

Itunes runs a little better in OSX than Windows in regards to speed and system resources, but the same crappy limitations are there no matter what OS you are running. I don't find Itunes to be the snappiest program under OSX either.

Bean888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
High Five! I'm not updating yet either - I like my rotation lock. Plus, I also like the iPad the way it is right now. I've used the 4.x functionality on the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4, and it's more neat than wow.

Ladyagaaga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is always a pain to update the os of idevices.
I love idevices but I hate using itunes.
I have been using Creative Zen players for years .it is so easy to transfer music/videos from pc to the player. Just drag and drop.
Now I'm still downloading os 4.2. keep my fingers crossed, there is no time out error or I have to start from square 1.
Me too. I used to be an ardent fan of Creative
until I started using iPhone. My pet peeve with idevices is using iTunes
now I use I M Too ipad mate to transfer
Music to my ipad. It even automaticay converts
format not supported to ipad
It can also convert FLV to a format supported by apple.
Free download

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it true that iTunes functions much smoother on OSX when compared to Windows?

No.

Could you elaborate?

I still own a custom built PC that was upgraded to windows7 last year and an iMac. Updates to my iOS devices are and syncs are faster on my Mac than on the PC.

Also, I havent experienced a single hang when syncing my iPod touch or iPhone to the Mac, where as I've had a few hangs, and restore required a few months back with my iPhone when doing the 4.0 update on the PC. I did a uninstall/reinstall of iTunes, and since then, it hasn't given me any grief, but it still takes longer to sync calendars with outlook, etc, than it does on my Mac w/ iCal, etc. For this reason, I now only sync with the Mac and use MobileMe to handle the sync with the PC via the cloud.

From this personal experience, I have to say that iTunes runs better on OSX than windows.

Most reactions