I’m not understanding Safari browser

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Ed1944, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Being a long-time Windows user, I’m more familiar with browsers like Edge, Firefox, and Brave, etc. I’d like to Try Safari on my iPad, but can’t find any way to control it. There’s no place I see where to click for ‘settings’, import bookmarks’, etc. I don’t even see a ‘home’ button. The browser looks pretty bare bones to me. What am I missing?

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Safari settings are in the Settings app: Settings > Safari. This is typical of Apple’s native apps. Third party apps sometimes follow this convention, sometimes put settings in the app, and sometimes split them between. However, basic privacy access settings for each app can always be found in the Settings app.

There is no way (that I know of) on the iPad to import bookmarks. However, if your install iCloud for Windows you can set Edge, Firefox, and other browsers to sync your bookmarks with the iPad.

Download iCloud for Windows

This is also handy if you want to transfer files to from your Windows computer through iCloud; though there are lots of other cloud file services you can use for this, including your One Drive account that comes with Office 365 subscriptions.

As a side note, you can access many of the built in iOS app/features on your Windows computer by going to the icloud.com site and signing in with your iCloud account. You can also restore files recently deleted from your iCloud storage, and a few other maintenance tricks.

Browsing through the iPad Users guide can also help familiarize you with the less obvious Safari features (and other iPad stuff. Here is the online version: iPad User Guide

You can also get it in the iBooks store in the Books app. It’s free.

Somewhere on the MacStories site there is a supper deep dive into iPadOS 13, if you really want to see the details. I expect there will be one for iOS 14 when it arrives. It’s a yearly thing.

Finally, feel free to ask questions.

3. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you, twerppoet, for your clear explanations. This is a whole new ballgame for me! :(

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    It takes a while, but things to start to make sense. Just don’t try and force yourself to do what you did on Windows. Be open to finding new ways and you’ll find few road blocks; fewer each year.

5. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Now I’m trying to find how to set safari to remember passwords for various websites I use. I go to settings and click on ‘safari’, it haven’t found anywhere to open ‘offer to save passwords’. It would have been nice if safari had a settings menu like most other browsers have without having to go to ‘settings’. Anyhow, I realize that’s the nature of the beast. Being able to save passwords would be a big timesaver.

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Passwords are saved in Settings>Passwords in the Settings app.

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Running the Beta, aren’t you?

For those of us less adventurous sorts, it’s still called Settings > Passwords & Accounts. :)

8. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Everything with Safari seems OK now, thanks to the help I’ve received from you folks. :)