What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm new!

VictoriaR85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Victoria and I'm brand new around here. Last Friday, I acquired my first tablet, the iPad. I had told my boyfriend that I wanted to get myself one for Christmas. He agreed to put money into it too as my Christmas gift. As Best Buy had them for $41 off on Black Friday, we went in to have a look and left with my newest toy. My iPad of choice was the black iPad 4 with Retina display, 16 GB, and WiFi. I love it! I knew I was going to enjoy it. I had little doubt about that. But I didn't realize how much I would actually love it. My most recent Apple purchase before that was the iPhone 5, and I kind of figured it'd be the same thing without the cellular capability (just larger). And I suppose it is, but for around the house, I actually prefer it to my iPhone. The feel of the aluminum in my hands is so nice. The Retina display looks just marvelous! I think when I get my next laptop, it'll need to have Retina now. It's just far too pretty. Unlike a laptop, one of the things I just love about my iPad is that I can cozy up with it on the couch, cuddling it while I browse the web or stream visual media. It's also nice to get in bed with it at the end of the day and watch an episode of of one of my favorite TV shows. Getting my iMessages and being able to enjoy most of the apps I use on my iPhone is also really nice. The only drawback with the apps is that I have to re-purchase some of the ones I already owned on my phone in order to secure the iPad-specific versions of them. But beyond that, I can't find any other fault with my iPad. I trust I'll enjoy it for a long while to come.

Best regards,

Victoria

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think you should have to pay again for apps which you bought for your iPhone 5, but I bow to the superior knowledge of the posters about to add to this thread.

Sent using my iPad 2 - 16Gb - Wi-Fi

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VictoriaR85 said:
Hello!

My name is Victoria and I'm brand new around here. Last Friday, I acquired my first tablet, the iPad. I had told my boyfriend that I wanted to get myself one for Christmas. He agreed to put money into it too as my Christmas gift. As Best Buy had them for $41 off on Black Friday, we went in to have a look and left with my newest toy. My iPad of choice was the black iPad 4 with Retina display, 16 GB, and WiFi. I love it! I knew I was going to enjoy it. I had little doubt about that. But I didn't realize how much I would actually love it. My most recent Apple purchase before that was the iPhone 5, and I kind of figured it'd be the same thing without the cellular capability (just larger). And I suppose it is, but for around the house, I actually prefer it to my iPhone. The feel of the aluminum in my hands is so nice. The Retina display looks just marvelous! I think when I get my next laptop, it'll need to have Retina now. It's just far too pretty. Unlike a laptop, one of the things I just love about my iPad is that I can cozy up with it on the couch, cuddling it while I browse the web or stream visual media. It's also nice to get in bed with it at the end of the day and watch an episode of of one of my favorite TV shows. Getting my iMessages and being able to enjoy most of the apps I use on my iPhone is also really nice. The only drawback with the apps is that I have to re-purchase some of the ones I already owned on my phone in order to secure the iPad-specific versions of them. But beyond that, I can't find any other fault with my iPad. I trust I'll enjoy it for a long while to come.

Best regards,

Victoria

While you don't have to pay again when you re-download the same apps, you do have to pay again if you download the iPad specific version of an app when you already own the iPhone version. In many cases the iPhone version of an app works just as we'll on an iPad. Try downloading the iPhone versions to your iPad and trying them out. If they work for you, there's no reason to spend the extra money pating for the iPad version.

OP
V

VictoriaR85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While you don't have to pay again when you re-download the same apps, you do have to pay again if you download the iPad specific version of an app when you already own the iPhone version. In many cases the iPhone version of an app works just as we'll on an iPad. Try downloading the iPhone versions to your iPad and trying them out. If they work for you, there's no reason to spend the extra money pating for the iPad version.

That's exactly correct. I tried downloading a few of them (Instagram, Words With Friends, etc.) and they only take up a small portion of the screen. So if I want the full-screen versions designed for iPad, I'll have to purchase the particular ones I paid for once again. Oh well, at least apps aren't expensive.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VictoriaR85 said:
That's exactly correct. I tried downloading a few of them (Instagram, Words With Friends, etc.) and they only take up a small portion of the screen. So if I want the full-screen versions designed for iPad, I'll have to purchase the particular ones I paid for once again. Oh well, at least apps aren't expensive.

When you opened the iPhone apps on the iPad, did you notice a 2x in a circle in a corner of the screen? Tap it and the app image expands to fill the whole screen.

image-3303485262.jpg

image-1511864736.jpg

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there Victoria and welcome.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend. If you can't find the answer you need and you post a question then give as much info as you can to help members help you i.e. iPad 1 or 2, etc. and iOS version and name of app if the problem is with a specific app........and please don't forget to read the forum rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. The link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

You can download the manual for your iPad here http://help.apple.com/ipad/6/ and here http://support.apple.com/manuals/ and in iBooks search for "iPad user guide for" and you will find free comprehensive manuals for iOS 4, 5, 6, etc.

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/ and for iPhone users, come and join in the discussion over at http://www.iphoneforums.net

The Archangel

OP
V

VictoriaR85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice welcoming, everyone!

When you opened the iPhone apps on the iPad, did you notice a 2x in a circle in a corner of the screen? Tap it and the app image expands to fill the whole screen.

Nice! Thank you so much for letting me know that! :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts