What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm at the Apple Store playing with.....

bundat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But bottom line ~ I can't update my apps because you can only have one Apple ID, and the update thingy on the iPad is recognizing my ID that I opened my account with.
To be specific, each app knows what account was used to purchase it (regardless of what account is currently signed-in on the iPad).
i.e. the app knows its "owner".

So if you want to update a specific app, you need that app's "owner" to do so.
You have to use the account that was used to buy it to authorize the update.

I know this because of sharing apps with my friends.
I have them sign in with their accounts to download their apps onto my device, so that I have apps from 3 different accounts. But each app can only be updated by the account that owns it, so I have to ask them permission again to get an update.

I can't ever access that one again, as I deleted it and so now I have to delete all my apps that I bought with THAT ID and then re-install them.

Oh be careful with this step.
Did you have Apple transfer your purchases to the new account?
Because this is the only way you can change the apps' "owner" account.

Otherwise, this would be both pointless and dangerous.
For one, the apps will still be tied to their "owner" account (the old one), so reinstalling them would be pointless.

Two, you might end up not being able to reinstall them (at least, not directly from the store anyway, only the app "owner" can do that).
Well, you'd be able to if your PC was authorized, but as I said, they will still be tied to their "owner" account (the old one), so reinstalling them would be pointless.

Of course, all of this is moot if you managed to have Apple transfer all your purchases to your new email.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank goodness you've only got 26 apps.

According to a recent survey the average owner has 60..........too embarassed to confess how many I have, but hey it's a hobby :)

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to use the account that was used to buy it to authorize the update.

Exactly. Even IF I deleted that that account/ID. Which I did, as it was my old email address and it was hacked. So I have a new one. And it shows up everywhere but when I update.

But I am about to fix that.:D

you have Apple transfer your purchases to the new account?
Because this is the only way you can change the apps' "owner" account.

Yes I did! On the phone. I can buy new apps, but I just can't update the ones I purchased under the old ID.

You are pretty smart!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank goodness you've only got 26 apps.

According to a recent survey the average owner has 60..........too embarassed to confess how many I have, but hey it's a hobby :)

I know! That is what the Apple guy said too. But what I wanna know is how do I find out which ones I did buy under the old ID?

Are they the ones that won't update?

That makes sense....

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless you do high end work like editing or visual effects there is really no reason to buy a macbook pro. The MBA is actually better at doing non-intensive things since the whole thing is based on solid state memory. So doing all the built in functions and other low level tasks will be much much faster on the MBA...but things like Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Maya, etc will be horrible on the MBA and pretty useable on the MBP.

Most reactions

Latest posts