What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm alan and new to this site & own iphone 4 and want ipad 64gb

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the tiotle says I have an Iphone 4 which works very well now the bumper case is on. I got a geleskin for it (which partially covered the sensor, I didn't know it was there!!!). I had a 3Gs before that and Ipod touch 32gbbefore that and Nano gen 1 before that. It the only apple I own as I loathe the computers with a passion. I want to get an Ipad 64gb 3g and have a friend going to Hong Kong which I am told is the cheapest place in the world to get them. the Aussie dollar and USD are almost the same at the moment, so a visit to the USA would have been good also. The 64 is about $899USD there (minus whatever the tax is for duty free) and $1049AUD here which I think is around $1020 USD. So I'm looking forward to getting the ipad. I'd welcome any help or advice or comments on the sunject. I bought myself the bluetooth keyboard the other day which works well on my Toshiba laptop. I'll use it on the ipad for serious typing. It should last a couple of years. I've enjoyed reading what you have all had to say. Cheers, Alan

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Since you already have an iPhone, you should be able to jump right in and start using your iPad right away! You will need to hook it up to a computer at least once in order to register it though iTunes.

When you have time, you might want to download the iPad User Guide which is a free PDF file on the Apple website. Here is the link and what to look for on that page --

Apple - Support - Manuals

ipad_manual.jpg

OP
L

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's fantastic. I've bought a few apps in anticipation (docs to go and filebrowser). I should have it in the next month or so. I wanted some info about jailbreak and media players other than the ipod player as converting for use in iphone and ipod gives me the irrits. I didn't see any pointers anywhere so will post a thread unless you have advice on the subject. TYhanks for replying by the way....

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the better media players for non-MP4 files is called CineXPlayer. There is another media player called VLC - avoid it like the plague!

As far as jailbeaking, we have a whole section devoted to "hacking" where you will find lots of good information -- iPad Hacking - Apple iPad Forum

There are some "sticky" posts that remain at the top of the page at all times with information about jailbreaking. The one thing to keep in mind is that jailbreaking is done at your own risk.

OP
L

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know about the jailbreaking from the 3gs. It made OS updates a pain in the bum, but apart from that, if you know where the hostfile is, it's no problem. I was in the Apple Shop in Sydney the other day (its a 15 minute walk from me) and apart from the fact that it voids warranty if they know you have done it, the guys in the shop don't seem to have a problem with it LOL! I use VLC sometimes on my media centre running win7 and on my laptop. I've left a thread in the hacking section so we;ll see what comes of it. If onlyApple wasn't so proprietary. After all, I paid for the phone and Ipad, I;ll use them how I want to use them:) The apples guys said "fair enough!" Sp why do you say steer clear of VLC on the ipad? No good? or it doesn't work?

Most reactions

Latest posts