What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm about to buy - need help (G3/G4 or not?)

HOVIS_McHAGGIS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the title suggests -I want to know if it's worth paying the extra for an iPAD3 that "supposedly" has G4 - what's the benefit and does it work. I really don't understand what it is - please explain (I'm an APPLE virgin)

bww

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have 2 iPad 2 and a new iPad, we had AT&T on the iPad 2 but this time got Verizon because of the hotspot and the excellent LTE coverage for $20 a month for 1gb. We think it is sooooo much better, not only is it fast but the last time we were traveling we used the hotspot (in an airport that did not have wifi)' and all three of us had a better surfing experience than we ever did solo on the att iPad.

All of this is just my opinion and others may not want to pay an additional $130 and something monthly.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know what G4/3 are, but the new iPad is worth it for me. Screen, LTE, more ram....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I don't know what G4/3 are, but the new iPad is worth it for me. Screen, LTE, more ram....

I think the OP means 4G/3G cellular data.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
4G/LTE on Verizon is a big plus. I got better Internet performance on 4G/LTE that was much much faster than wifi at my dad's house.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
HOVIS_McHAGGIS (nice name!), since you are in Wales, you have absolutely no use for 4G/LTE. When we finally do get a 4G network it won't be compatible with the current 4G iPad3 hardware from what we know at present.

BUT, the 4G iPad3 is ALSO a 3G iPad, so the question is, do you want to put a SIM card in it and pay a carrier for a data contract so you can use the iPad out and about when you don't have wifi, or are you happy to only have wifi connection? Note also that the 4G model has a GPS chip as well. You cannot do proper GPS location on the wifi only model. Don't know if that's important to you or not.

What you may actually be agonising over is the choice of an iPad2 and the new iPad3. All that really matters there is do you prefer the amazing screen of the iPad3? If it doesn't bother you, then you are as well going for the cheaper iPad2. The wifi and 3G performance of the iPad2 is identical to the iPad3 when you are based in the UK.

Hope that helps. Ask if you have any more questions! :)

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you only plan to use the iPad at home, or at WiFi hot spots, then you don't need 3G/4G.. If you're current mobile phone is capable of tethering, (transmitting data over WiFi to other devices) then you can access the internet through it and you don't need 3G/4G...

One more thing that wasn't covered is the fact that WiFi only iPads don't have a built in GPS satellite receiver. The 3G/4G models do. If you plan on using the iPad for personal navigation you probably want the 3G/4G model.. (Note that WiFi only iPads can determine position by triangulating nearby WiFi hotspots, but they aren't as accurate as true GPS iPads and many GPS apps won't work without the built in GPS receiver).

And on LTE.. Here in Canada we only have a few major cities covered.. Until I get it where I live, I'll hold off on upgrading to the New iPad.....

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just recently upgraded to the iPad 3 and transferred my AT&T account over. I don't get 4G at home but I had it on the road and it was amazing. The speed was amazing. I was streaming Netflix over it (I'm grandfathered in to unlimited...) and the pic quality was very good.
My 3G/4G decision has been the best tech decision I have made in while. I have always needed an Internet connection while out and about and I find it a lot easier to just turn it on and go rather than futz around with a hotspot.

OP
H

HOVIS_McHAGGIS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - That has answered most of my question, but now I've seen adverts for brand new iPAD3's that say that they
have been "Factory unlocked" (I thought that bad guys had things unlocked like phones e.t.c. so they could sell what they had stolen).
This brings me on to another question - What are the types of iPAD3 available? I'm trying to make an informed choice but don't know
what is on offer.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
HOVIS_McHAGGIS said:
Thanks - That has answered most of my question, but now I've seen adverts for brand new iPAD3's that say that they
have been "Factory unlocked" (I thought that bad guys had things unlocked like phones e.t.c. so they could sell what they had stolen).
This brings me on to another question - What are the types of iPAD3 available? I'm trying to make an informed choice but don't know
what is on offer.

You can safely ignore the AT&T/Verizon thing because that's confined to the USA.

In Cymru you only have two basic types; 3/4G which can connect directly to the Internet, and wifi which cannot. Then you have different storage options; 16, 32 or 64Gb. Depends on how much you are prepared to spend, but the bigger the better IMO.

If you go for an iPad 2, which is now the base model, you only get the 16Gb option.

As far as I'm aware, no iPads are carrier-locked so you are free to choose your ISP. This is certainly true in Canada, I assume the same goes in the UK.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HOVIS_McHAGGIS said:
what is on offer.

Look at this page,it shows exactly what features the different iPad 3 models have and compares them to the equivalent iPad 2 models.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts