What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm a PC and I want to be in control :)

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I got my iPad3 a couple of days ago. I've been a PC, I was a Commodore (much) earlier :) and this is my first entry into the world of apples. Seems like a great device so far, except that I don't want it to be "a series of tubes" (pun intended), but rather a tool that serves me. I even RTFM on day one ;) and after a day or two, I jailbroke it. So far so good, but I still can't seem to find two things:
-some sort of adblocking and socialblocking (like e.g. Adblock Plus and Ghostery on Firefox) -- I was only able to find an adblock that you have to buy.
-some decent file explorer/manager -- also I only found one that isn't free.
I know some things are worth paying for, but these two seem as elementary as a driver's seat and a steering wheel in a car. Is there another browser I should be using instead of Safari, that has adblocking addons and offers more control?

Also, how can I tell if apps send out encrypted or plain-text username/password data? It's pretty straightforward seeing a "https" in a browser, but with the various apps, it's hard to tell. At least Mail I hope is using encryption (ports 993, 587)...

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I got my iPad3 a couple of days ago. I've been a PC, I was a Commodore (much) earlier :) and this is my first entry into the world of apples. Seems like a great device so far, except that I don't want it to be "a series of tubes" (pun intended), but rather a tool that serves me. I even RTFM on day one ;) and after a day or two, I jailbroke it. So far so good, but I still can't seem to find two things:
-some sort of adblocking and socialblocking (like e.g. Adblock Plus and Ghostery on Firefox) -- I was only able to find an adblock that you have to buy.
-some decent file explorer/manager -- also I only found one that isn't free.
I know some things are worth paying for, but these two seem as elementary as a driver's seat and a steering wheel in a car. Is there another browser I should be using instead of Safari, that has adblocking addons and offers more control?

Also, how can I tell if apps send out encrypted or plain-text username/password data? It's pretty straightforward seeing a "https" in a browser, but with the various apps, it's hard to tell. At least Mail I hope is using encryption (ports 993, 587)...
hi,welcome to the forum,here are some helpful links-
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discu...412896524?mt=8
Apple - Support - Manuals
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!
iOS5 Tips and Tricks
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
Forum rules - everybody please read!!
poisonivy.

alanchan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you, I am also a Windows PC person
the only decent file explorer/manager APP I purchased for my iphone/ipad is call "Files Connect"
it can transfer (copy) files from PC/Mac and Apple Time Capsule to your ipad.
I still don't know how to copy files from my ipad to a Windows PC using Files Connect
if you kow how to copy multiple files, please let me know
good luck

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, today I found a desktop application called iExplorer. It has access to iPad filesystem (among other neat things), but I haven't tried copying anything yet. All in all it offers more access to the gadget than the default iTunes and Windows Explorer (the latter only shows DCIM folder on iPad).

The encryption of credentials is something I'm still a bit wary about, especially since the iPad is something that's more or less to be used in "public hotspots"... still needs to be tamed for that purpose. ;)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What does being a Windows PC person have to do with anything? This is nothing unique. That sounds like code for "I'm inflexible and only want to do things the way I already know how to do them." :)

The iPad runs iOS and you'd better deal with that. It is not a file-centric OS. Files are owned by the applications that create them. Manipulating files is extremely limited compared to DOS, Linix, Android, Windows, and OS X, etc. (Jailbreaking does open up the file system, so that is an option.)

If you can't deal with that, you may find you prefer an Android tablet for with these you can access all files on the device with any if the many file managers in the Play Store. The Google Nexus 7 by Asus is, IMO, one of the best options right now.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nothing, I was merely introducing myself. :) I know it's not a file-centric OS. And I don't really need to know and work with all those system files. But I do want to have an overview over my files (regardless of their format) and sort and move/copy them however I want, and transfer them easily between whichever devices I choose. Right now, Dropbox seems to be doing a great job with this...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nothing, I was merely introducing myself. :) I know it's not a file-centric OS. And I don't really need to know and work with all those system files. But I do want to have an overview over my files (regardless of their format) and sort and move/copy them however I want, and transfer them easily between whichever devices I choose. Right now, Dropbox seems to be doing a great job with this...

Yes, Dropbox is a very useful app to have. Another one is GoodReader. Between those two, you can do a lot of stuff! GoodReader will talk to a lot of different cloud servers, works the FTP, etc. Strongly recommended. These two will keep you sane! :)

And welcome!

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, unlike on "real" computers, iPad's Dropbox only keeps local copies of files if they're marked "favorite". I found out that with SugarSync, on the other hand, I can literally "push" folders (from a desktop web browser) to get downloaded to iPad. But still... how come that music downloaded in either of these two won't show up in the default Music app (same goes for photos)? I would have expected that (being a non-file-centric OS) the system would scan and look for media anywhere and add them to corresponding apps (Music, Video, Photos...).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Commodore said:
Well, unlike on "real" computers, iPad's Dropbox only keeps local copies of files if they're marked "favorite". I found out that with SugarSync, on the other hand, I can literally "push" folders (from a desktop web browser) to get downloaded to iPad. But still... how come that music downloaded in either of these two won't show up in the default Music app (same goes for photos)? I would have expected that (being a non-file-centric OS) the system would scan and look for media anywhere and add them to corresponding apps (Music, Video, Photos...).

Why? If the music app doesn't own it, why should it grab it? Or the video app? If you have another app that has more features than the stock app, you don't want the stock app grabbing everything. Also, dropbox works like that on all mobile devices because they tend to be storage space constrained, otherwise you'd quickly run out of space. Pushing folders is a feature that sugersync offers, so what? Drop box is still king of cloud and frankly has the best support overall.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why? If the music app doesn't own it, why should it grab it? Or the video app? If you have another app that has more features than the stock app, you don't want the stock app grabbing everything.

Not grab; just index and become aware of it. Yes, I don't want one app grabbing everything (like some applications used to do in Windows with taking file extension associations to their domain); but I'd prefer to see that an app finds all the files it can handle, wherever they are (and if I have two apps that can handle them, those files could be seen in both). It doesn't make sense to have some media files in one app, another bunch elsewhere, or even duplicates; but it would make sense, if I open e.g. Music, to see all playable music there (linked, or whatever).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not grab; just index and become aware of it. Yes, I don't want one app grabbing everything (like some applications used to do in Windows with taking file extension associations to their domain); but I'd prefer to see that an app finds all the files it can handle, wherever they are (and if I have two apps that can handle them, those files could be seen in both). It doesn't make sense to have some media files in one app, another bunch elsewhere, or even duplicates; but it would make sense, if I open e.g. Music, to see all playable music there (linked, or whatever).

It does make sense...the apps are sandboxed....so one app can't see files for another app, even if it can play them (in most cases, as there are pipes from one to another in some cases). It means that one wrong thing or bad actor can't bring down the house. For example, I can play more file types in AVPlayer HD than in the stock app, so I use that most of the time, plus I can bring files in over wifi, rather than using to use iTunes. The stock app doesn't need to even be used.

iOS is a light footprint OS...it is not massive like Windows...and it doesn't try to do everything like Android.

It works the way it works, not how you want it to work. There is no point in fighting it.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not fighting it, just trying to understand it, and tweaking it the way it will suit me. Still, the app-centrism (as opposed to file-centrism) is in my opinion highly inefficient (that is, at least until you figure out which apps are best for managing the variety of your content, and then do your best to bring the stuff together; until then, you have one text document in one app, another one in another, a few books here, a few elsewhere, some songs in this, some in another app, etc.). The content (=file) is the thing that matters, and not its "handler" (=app). Just like in the "real world" -- when you eat, the food (=contents) is the most important part; the handlers (or "apps": a plate, utensils, a table...) may vary, but they just facilitate using the content. :)
Of course app-centrism helps making $$$ ... but that's a whole other story.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a lot of effort devoted to manipulation of files and that is not content focused at all. This is like you going to a resturant and having to go the kitchen and fix your own meal, pick up your own silverware, and then carrying it all back to the table. The content is in the preperation, the delivery, and in the enjoyment (if you are the customer then it is all in the latter).

It is not necessary to have files spread between apps as you suggest. You just have to decide how you want to do thing and then follow through. If you want to use the stock apps, then there is a way to do things. Most of us prefer not to, so we use other apps that have their way of doing things. You merely do things the way there are designed to be done rather than fighting it by bring expectations.

Sandboxing is not really about creating an app-centric focus, it is more about building a system that is protected. The various apps are designed to allow you a means to view and/or create content.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad has become very popular with people who have no idea how to operate a computer, and that is its primary function. It is a magical piece of glass that "just works".

Of course, those of us with a background in personal computers can see immediately that the thing is a computer, and therefore expect certain behavior from it, but for those who are satisfied with getting things done without worrying how they are done, it's perfect.

When was the last time you defragged your iPad? When was the last time you had a reminder that Flash, Java, Divx etc needed an update?

It's great to be able to start with a file and decide how you are going to mess with it, but the iPad works for people who don't know how their data is used by the OS, and care even less. For them it "just works" and the world is a better place.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And more importantly secures the device against malware ,virus infections, also designed for everyday non geeky people , techies and geeks will find it very restrictive if you like to open the bonnet and fiddle the thing to death.
If you want to connect to a PC or Mac/Linux across a wireless connection and move , copy files , then FilesConnect or FileBrowser use the smb network protocol to do just this,
When your files are local on the ipad either app can open the files just like a pc in the correct associated app on the iPad to then edit, play or view.
The workflow is a little different but it "Works" .
Both above mentioned file apps also support the popular DropBox for further storage possibilities and integration.

Hope this helps a Tad more.

Most reactions

Latest posts