iKeyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by autophone, Jun 11, 2011.

1. autophone

autophone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  2. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0
    I wouldn't buy it. Looks pointless and gimmicky IMO.

And I totally disagree with their comments on using the virtual keyboard as it is. The virtual keyboard is what it is. And it works brilliantly. I think this device is just a waste of money item that won't have the flexibility or lasting appeal that it touts.

Just my opinion of course :)

How much is it?

3. autophone

autophone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is no price yet, because it is a project still under construction. They are currently asking people to pledge the product so it can go into production. But I guess you won't do that.

4. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +748 / 0
    I wouldn't use it even if it were free. For serious typing I use a BT keyboard, for limited typing then the onscreen one is fine as it is as it allows me to make use of the full touchscreen between typing.......I'd have to keep removing that one to use functions other than the keyboard.

The Archangel

5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 1
    As a touch typist I can see what they're trying to achieve and I can almost imagine that it would work - I'm trying to think what it would feel like being able to detect the position of the keys but not get any tactile feedback from not being able to depress them.

I guess they're thinking of using this for times when you have a lot of typing to do - it would be a pain sliding the 'keyboard' on and off the iPad for casual use and I worry how it will fit over the cases we all keep our iPads in.

Personally I prefer a folding Bluetooth keyboard. It's small enough that there's never a temptation not to take it with you and it has (nearly) full size keys.

But I wish them good luck with their project.

Tim

6. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +748 / 0
    Also, if Apple make any changes to the keyboard, such as add a numbers or function row then, well, it's instantly redundant!

The Archangel

7. autophone

autophone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree that iPad onscreen keyboard is good and I never have any problems with it. But some people sometimes just want to get the feedback from pressing real physical keys, regardless speed and efficiency in typing.

What they are trying to make is a product that lies between a real BT keyboard and on screen keyboard with little to nothing extra weigh and bulk (it can "slide" between iPad and smart cover).

Of course you will only use it for typing in an app like pages where you would put lots of input as the onscreen keys keep changing depending what screen you are on. If it is just typing your email username and password the "holes" in the iKeyboard would not change accordingly for characters like .com, @, _, etc.

8. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +748 / 0
    How would it cope with using the keyboard shortcuts, such as the touch and slide from comma to hyphen.......it wouldn't, I think the idea was good but also flawed.

The Archangel

9. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0
    My only issue with the existing ipad keyboard is the most irritating autocorrection it uses. It stinks. It's on another planet. But this is a software issue, not a physical keyboard issue :p

10. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Interesting idea imo. I'm not surprised that those who aren't true "touch typists" don't see the point but those who are understand the problem the inventor is trying to solve immediately.

The skill called for in touch typing and that required for speedy use of a virtual keyboard are radically different. I marvel at the ability of some of my (younger) friends who can tap out a long text message with their thumbs on a virtual keyboard. I think the same folks are more or less satisfied with the iPad keyboard. (Though I sometimes think that evolution will lead future generations to have ten inch thumbs.)

Having said that, however, I agree that the idea has some serious flaws. Repeated removal/replacement of the keyboard "template" is a dealbreaker as others have noted.

In addition, it appears that the iKeyboard can only be used with the iPad in its landscape orientation. That's not surprising, but it raises a fundamental problem. If you're using the iPad for extensive text entry, it's useful to see as much of text as possible. And that's where the use of the iPad virtual keayboard, with or without the iKeyboard, is problematic. The keyboard itself fills half the screen unless the iPad is placed in a portrait orientation. I would think that the design should be optimized for portrait rather than landscape use.

All in all, I'm sorry to say that the design is inherently problematic. Improvements in the use of the virtual keyboard are clearly called for. But I think a successful strategy lies in the direction of "slide" keyboards (like Swype) and/or in improved AI-based text prediction (like SwiftKey.) I've used both on my android phone. Neither is a completely adequate substitute for a physical keyboard (for touch typists), but each is also far superior to the virtual keyboard on the iPad.

11. kerry0

kerry0 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  12. akaroads

akaroads iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's a no-go for me for several reasons. There isn't one for the first iPad. Now you have move junk to tote around and the sleekness is lost. Can't use it for vertical typing. When in vertical orientation the key-template is now in the way and time is waisted moving. When changing to numbers and symbols the template does not completely fit, but it mostly fits. If you are trying to change between different programs you have to constantly remove the key-template. Did I miss anything? Oh ya... How do you clean it and how durable is it? I guess I just love the simplicity of the iPad as it is. The only issue I can see with the iPad keypad is the lack of arrow keys, but that's just old fashioned me.

Sent from my iPad 32/3G using iPF