1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

IIOS 6 - lots of issues

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Mesqueunclub, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +117 / 1
    Hi,
    I have just updated to IOS 6 and am having nothing but problems. The update went fine, rebooted my iPad 3 and then the problems started. When I restart the iPad each time I am presented with the grey IOS 6 screen. I slide to login and I am then taken to a Wi-Fi page showing my Wi-Fi options. I tap the blue highlighted box 'Next' and am then presented with a pop up box to continue with or without Wi-Fi. I request to use Wi-Fi only for the pop up to keep appearing. I cannot proceed unless I tap 'Continue without Wi-Fi. Also there is no Siri in my general Settings, amongst a whole host of other issues. I am beginning to wish I had never upgraded. Certainly not a smooth road so far. I would like to revert to the older OS, at least that worked without having to jump through hoops each time I boot up. Please help somebody. Thanks.

T
    Please help someone
  2. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +117 / 1
    Hi again,

Still jumping through hoops but Siri has mysteriously appeared where it should be in General settings. Can't find the other new features though, flyover etc.
  3. Bluray

Bluray iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I think you may need to do a fresh install of iOS6 on your iPad, seen the amount of issues you have.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  4. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +117 / 1
    Hi Bluray,

What is iTouch and how do I do a fresh install of ios6.
    Thanks
  5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0

If you already had wifi set up just click continue to get to the next menu. You don't need to re-enter any info.

Mine is working just fine.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  6. rjreynolds

rjreynolds iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have an iPad third-generation, And I had absolutely no problems at all with my upgrade. Wi-Fi worked perfectly. It did ask me to reenter my password however.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. LannyC

LannyC iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353 / 0
    The update went smoothly here. But jeez, Maps is turbo-sucky. In addition to being slow, low-res, and feature-poor, it's buggy. Sometimes, seemingly at random, it's impossible to delete a pin or its listing in Recents. Also, Home wanders around a bit.

Maybe it's just me, but the four-finger gestures seem difficult to accomplish. They often simply fail, but sometimes are interpreted as Zoom commands. Guess I'ii have to disable three-finger-tap.

Oh, one more thing(tm)...I had some trouble editing this post in the IPF app, and had to kill it and start over. When I tried to place the cursor to insert text, it jumped to the beginning of the post and wouldn't budge. Typing resulting in new text ON TOP OF the existing text! Amusing, but not very productive.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  8. ogilley

ogilley iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Maps is indeed terrible. No features and no accuracy at this point. Hope this gets better.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  9. rjreynolds

rjreynolds iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0

When you say slow and and low rez, i must t say that i have disagree. Maybe it looks slightly different than google maps , but I would certainly not call it low res. i find maps to be responsive to the touch. I was able to remove pins from recent without a problem by hitting the clear button in the upper left hand corner of the recent dialog box. As far as the 4 finger swipe, i find that it works much better with a 5 finger motion straight up. As far as editing this post through the app, i had the same problem as you state the first time, but during this post, i have been able to move and place the cursor wherever i want. Maps nor ios 6 is perfect. I think it needs some improvements and added features which i suspect will come in time through updates.

Good luck...
  10. dunbarhamlin

dunbarhamlin iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Urgh. Have stupidly just installed. The intermittent and oft misinterpreted gestures are the killer for me. Had already decided next tablet would not be apple because of proprietarial restrictiveness, but if this is how handle their alpha testing, I'll stick with Microsoft - at least they do some testing first.
  11. LannyC

LannyC iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353 / 0
    'Low-res' in several respects: in many places, the new maps don't zoom in as closely before pixelating, like Google was circa 5 years ago; also, some streets are simply missing, and many buildings/places are not labeled as in Google Maps. Search is completely unreliable. Earlier this morning, I searched for Smith Point, TX (MapQuest found it across Galveston Bay from Houston). The new Maps app gave me two pins for Ivan Smith Furniture, near Dallas. It would be funny, if it weren't so pathetic.

Yikes! I can edit this post, but the IPF app won't ungray the Send button for a new reply. Anyway, I did find an unexpected improvement: opening the Camera Roll jumps to the last image now, which is usually the one I want.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  12. Deebo33

Deebo33 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Honestly, Maps is exactly what I expected it to be considering its Apple's first attempt at a map app that competes with Google Maps. It's brand spanking new so I don't expect top notch performance out of the gate. I'm sure it'll get better with time.
  13. susanlackey

susanlackey iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Google come out with a maps app for us.
  14. Ji Busa

Ji Busa iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    mine worked fine, however I'm disappointed with apples map.
  15. theTimo

theTimo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yes, the Map app is worse than before. There are no rails in Helsinki Railway station, for example. One Norwegian town is in the middle of the North Sea... There are others surely.
  16. johnpsz

johnpsz iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so noob question, should I upgrade? I jsut got this iPad and was clicking though settings last night and it downloaded the iOS 6 last night, but I didn't install it because I was downloading videos too, should I install it? I am soo new to the iPad that I wouldn't know what I lost or gained with this, and just bought the thing Wednesday night (less than 2 days ago), I cannot believe there is an OS update that was not applied, should I just install this and go on with life?
  17. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +117 / 1
    Now I'm just getting used to IOS 6 it seems fine, one or two glitches which I am sure will be sorted by Apple. It would be useful tho' to have some sort of definitive guide. I couldn't find Siri installed then it suddenly appeared. I am then told you have to hold the home button down to start it. Alright for people who already know such things but it would make life easier to be informed somehow. Also on first kick starting IOS 6 you are taken to a Wi-Fi select screen and an annoying box keeps popping up. I am later told to just tap the 'next' button and to ignore it! Very confusing but now things have settled down I am beginning to enjoy it.
  18. susanlackey

susanlackey iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    When I did my update, the iPad restarted and in the process of doing so, asked me if I wanted to activate Siri. When I said yes, it then explained how to use it.
  19. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +117 / 1
    Hi Sue,

I wish! I was not given any options or information but can't complain now, all seems to be running smoothly.........fingers crossed!
  20. susanlackey

susanlackey iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Glad it is working for you now!