1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ifile assistance, Plz

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Demandarin, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I was trying to figure out, without Itunes, how do u put the mp4 u downloaded into the videos or movie folder. Right now its just in the documents but i want to organize my movies. I remember i used mxtube and downloaded and saved to my saved photos but i cant remember how i did it..lol. But rather thn having the movies n clips scattered, which folder exactly do i need to cut n paste them to. Im talkin bout for mp4 movies. I have the divx palyer, cinemaX, n have the avi filesnin there. But my mp4 movies are scattered. I tried putting it in the ipod movie folder but nothing shows up. I know this is trial n error because thats how i got my divx movies in the right folder, finally..lol. Thanks in advance, any insight greatly apprexiated
  2. lumberjak

lumberjak iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As far as I know the only way to load an mp4 into the Apple video app is through iTunes. However on iFile I personally created a Downloads folder (usually dTunes, UlimVideoz or other Cydia apps will create it for you) in /var/mobile/Library/Downloads

Once created or found I make a vidoe folder and store and play my downloaded mp4's from there. If I play an .avi I usually copy and paste from a media card using the camera connection kit and paste it into my Oplayer/CineX/Yxplayer doc folder. With the newest iFile you can select the "Applications" link on the left of screen (in landscape mode) and browse your apps (if all you get are long alpha-numeric folders then go to iFile settings -> Application names -> On

Nonetheless, while iFile will play right from folder, there is no way to have them viewable by the iPad Video app unless you sync via iTunes.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012
  3. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Thanks for the reply. I literally just did that b4 posting again. I made a folder called Mp4 Collection. ;-). I already know where to find the new mp4's once they download. Just transfer them to my new folder. Im good now. There is a way to put them in the saved photos. Cuz i had my first ones were in there. Im mad i cant remwmber which folder i pput them in. Oh well, gotma new folder now. Thanks again bud
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012
  4. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I just remembered how i saved the mp4 to the saved photos. In Ifile, go to the mp4 file of choice. Then to the far right, press the blue arrow to see the attributes/properties. Scroll to the bottom n u will see a big tab button saying add to camera roll. When u do press it, it saves that mp4 file to ur saved photos. There isnt a pic icon for them but u see a blank outline. Thats the file. Juss press it n it plays right thru there. If u click on the photos to make them larger, u can scroll, n see ur mp4 files that way. The enlarged view of pics.. I wonder what exactly is the name of the folder the ipad movies are stored to thru itunes. Hmmm..if i knew , id try to paste one in there to see if it works.
  5. Snowy_River

Snowy_River iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I found the answer(s), and it's not good. The Apple Videos app doesn't just take the movie files "as is". It seems that the Videos app is a component of iTunes. So, the movie files are stored in the media folder (var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music), and then distributed in among all the music that's in there. But, to add to the issue, these are not stored with their original file names. For example, I have Kung Fu Panda. I tracked down the file for it on my iPad, and it is BYEU.mp4. So, clearly, additional files are being used to tell which app gets to access which file, as well as, it seems, how the metadata is accessed.

However, despite this, I'm going to try copying a movie file into one of these folders to see what happens. I'll let you know...
  6. Snowy_River

Snowy_River iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No dice. But I did discover that GoodReader now remembers where you left off when watching a movie. Now, if they had a movie display interface, like the Apple Videos app, I might consider moving over to using GoodReader exclusively.
  7. Rgu3t0

Rgu3t0 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    sorry to bring up and old post but just wanted to thank you...solved my issues with adding movie files onto my ipad. thanks again
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.