If you have an Apple TV 3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LannyC, Sep 18, 2020.

1. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    News: The update did fix the YouTube bug, though the ATV3 now reboots itself for no reason, in the middle of whatever I'm watching, several times a day for no reason.

Then today, a screen appeared letting me know that in March the YouTube app will no longer work at all. Seems the greedy bastards at today's Apple will try anything to force customers to buy new hardware, to the point of disabling existing devices for no reason.

Stick it where the sun don't shine, Apple. I just ordered a $25 Roku.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The YouTube app no longer working on your old AppleTV is the result of YouTube pulling support for the device, not Apple forcing you to upgrade. The 3rd generation was introduced 9 years ago and no device is supported forever.

3. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have an Apple TV3 and I very rarely watch YouTube on it, as I also have an Amazon FireStick 4K which seems to do a far better job of it anyway!

4. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Update: I got the Roku. It works, but it's clunky to use and took an hour to set up, due to the Roku iPad app's keyboard refusing to actually send a password to the unit. Also, the interface wastes space on pushing paid content that could be used to better purpose.

But the worst thing is the total lack of audio-out jacks, so it can't be cabled to my hifi's preamp or standalone DAC. (I'm using optical cable from my ATV3 to the DAC.) The only output is HDMI, presumably because only an idiot would not be using a home theater receiver. Guess what? I'm apparently an idiot, as I don't have or need one. I could run RCA cables from the TV to the preamp, but that means using the TV's DAC and lots of additional TV circuitry, which doesn't sound as good. I also use the ATV3 to stream uncompressed music from iTunes on my Mac, and so would need the TV on to listen to music.

So...I looked the current Apple TV. It, too, has only HDMI output. Apple decides what we can do, and we can like it or lump it. Feh. Tbe $149 ATVHD has no apparent advantage over the $24 Roku. And its remote is awful.

So, I suppose I'll use the Roku for YouTube, without the ability to run the audio through real speakers, and continue to use the ATV3 for everything else. Our world of choices is going steadily downhill...

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi Lanny - well, I don't have the same setup as you but can sympathize w/ your woes over 'cable hell' - for the holidays (and in COVID isolation!), we treated ourselves to a new 4K Sony 49" HDTV and Sony 4K BD player (to replace our 9+ year old equipment) - I also regret the way these companies manipulate their customers by taking away 'inputs & outputs' that might work fine for older devices but they decide what is best for them, I guess (like Apple going from macOS 10 > 11 and switching to Apple silicon - still trying to adjust and plan for those changes).

But w/ the new TV & BD player, I'm OK - have my cable/DVR box, BD player, Roku, & Apple TV all attached to the new TV via HDMI cables; the TV has an optical digital output that I run to my Cambridge XR100 stereo receiver (just 2-channel sound) which carries the sound from the TV for all devices attached. As to the Roku & Apple TV remotes, a major work in progress! :mad:

Just finished watching the Blue Planet II in 4K - spectacular - although the TV is not large (not much choice in my den) the viewing was almost like being at one of the smaller IMAX theaters. Well, I hope that your find some solutions to your issues in the previous post. Dave :)