If you have an Apple TV 3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LannyC, Sep 18, 2020.

1. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    ..do not update it to OS 7.6. Mine now crashes every time I pause a YouTube video, requiring a hard reboot. Other sources still work OK, so I guess today's OS update broke the YouTube app.

#1 LannyC, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    YouTube probably hasn’t updated their app. If this crash happens to everybody I’m surprised that YouTube didn’t fix the problem as they would have had access to the beta of tvOS 7.6 and should have seen that problem before release.

3. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I spent over 4 hours today on the phone with Apple and, on their direction, doing a full restore to factory settings. That meant resetting everything from scratch. Still no fix.

Remember, on a gen3 the apps are part of the OS, not separately updatable. IMO Apple should not have pushed me to update without basic testing of a popular app like YouTube. "Pause" may be the most-used feature of a streaming app. If Google needed to modify their app to comply with the new OS version, Apple should have delayed release until it was fixed.

It's hard not to imagine this is part of Apple's relentless drive to make everything over two years old obsolete, more features dropping off every year. It sure ain't Steve Jobs' Apple anymore.