If you have an Apple TV 3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LannyC, Sep 18, 2020.

1. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    ..do not update it to OS 7.6. Mine now crashes every time I pause a YouTube video, requiring a hard reboot. Other sources still work OK, so I guess today's OS update broke the YouTube app.

#1 LannyC, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    YouTube probably hasn’t updated their app. If this crash happens to everybody I’m surprised that YouTube didn’t fix the problem as they would have had access to the beta of tvOS 7.6 and should have seen that problem before release.

3. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I spent over 4 hours today on the phone with Apple and, on their direction, doing a full restore to factory settings. That meant resetting everything from scratch. Still no fix.

Remember, on a gen3 the apps are part of the OS, not separately updatable. IMO Apple should not have pushed me to update without basic testing of a popular app like YouTube. "Pause" may be the most-used feature of a streaming app. If Google needed to modify their app to comply with the new OS version, Apple should have delayed release until it was fixed.

It's hard not to imagine this is part of Apple's relentless drive to make everything over two years old obsolete, more features dropping off every year. It sure ain't Steve Jobs' Apple anymore.

4. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Update: after nearly two months, a new OS version 7.6.1 for Apple TV 3 just arrived. Sadly, the YouTube failure is not fixed. I hope nothing new is broken...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi Lanny - I'm surprised at the tvOS version on the Apple TV 3 (but likely related to its introduction date of 2012 shown below) - I've bought just one Apple TV, i.e. the 4th G HD model a few years ago and just updated the tvOS to 14.2 - seems to be fine although I've not used the YouTube app on the device - however, will give it a try. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 5.29.28 PM.png

6. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Dave, the 4th gen Apple TV is a completely different product, with its own OS. (Also, the price more than doubled.) The OS for the earlier models has all of its apps built in, and apps are not separately available or upgradable like yours. They are 100% under Apple's control.

That's why thousands of users are angry at Apple for nagging us to "update" without any apparent testing of one of the most popular apps. Imagine, at our age, watching a two-hour movie without being able to pause it. :)

7. Schatram

Schatram
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Wow, I did not know YouTube had an app for iOS. Is is ad-free or something, what;s the point of using it? I just watch youtube videos straight in Safari.

8. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    The iOS app may be a little more convenient than Safari, and possibly faster. Dunno, I never use Safari to watch YouTube. Free, but not ad-free.

But this thread isn't about iOS, it's about Apple TV 3, which lets me watch YT videos directly on my TV screen without going through a tablet or other computer.

9. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I got an email from Apple support today asking me to try the new Apple TV 3rd Generation update reputed to fix the YouTube bug. I did, and it seemingly does. This also means the handy pause menu works again.

I'm not sure which surprised me more, that the fix finally arrived after "only" three months, or that Apple bothered to let me know. Whatever.

I'm still not willing to trust my iPad to 14.X, when 13.7 does everything I want without issues.

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Lanny - just updated our 2 iPhones (XRs) to iOS 14.3 & 2 iPads (iPad Pro & Mini 5) to iPadOS 14.3 - no problems so far and all worked fine w/ lower versions of 14.x - not sure which iPad you own but not a problem for us; but if you're happy w/ an older version, then your choice. Dave