What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you build it, they will come

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't had my iPad for very long and it is my first Apple device. I've witnessed something about Apple though and that is they seem to not care about what is most popular, but instead develop their own way of doing things and force the market to change to their way.

I'm talking about things like flash, special adapters, lack of USB ports, lack of media reader slots, their own browser, etc. Is this just their way of being different, or is their way truly better? I believe it's Apple forcing the change from flash to HTML5, correct.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to disagree, I don't think they have forced anything. If they sold 15 million iPads which could play flash natively then disabled the flash ability that would be forcing change........from day one, every iPad has been sold in the clear knowledge that it is not flash compatible. They have, in effect, allowed the Market to decide.......and the Market is continuing to decide in it's millions.

The other argument is that there wasn't a viable alternative, but that isn't the fault of Apple, if the Market wanted flash more than the iPad they would have chosen net books.

If I buy a diesel car I can hardly complain later that it won't run on unleaded petrol!

The Archangel

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
most people call Dwayne Wade from the Miami Heat, "Flash".

Next season, i might call him HTML5.

visit apple.com and witness HTML5.

here....Apple (Canada) - Mac
now click from Mac to applications to accessories to server.
see the bounciness, thats HTML5 and its capabilities, with more.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I agree.

Apple suit themselves. They build their own proprietary software and hardware to please themselves and, they hope/think, their market.

Are they correct? Does it work? Is their perceived arrogance paying dividends? Damn right it is. I'm traditionally a Windows person, and the iPad and iPod touch are my only Apple devices. They're so different than the norm. So individual. So expensive. They march on with their own ideas and progress. I love it. I think they're on another planet. Their advices and iOS is a pure joy to use. And millions and millions and millions can't be wrong. Infact, as reports are recently coming out, the opposition is even further behind than expected.

Last edited:

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you want flash, then don't buy Apple! It's quite simple really, it's been mentioned enough times what iPads and pods and phones can and can't do and people STILL MOAN when they get one!

Sent from Wales, using my iPad & iPF.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want flash, then don't buy Apple! It's quite simple really, it's been mentioned enough times what iPads and pods and phones can and can't do and people STILL MOAN when they get one!

i have flash on my Macbook Air, no Mac computer comes with flash, but you can get it by a simple download. Just referring to your don't buy Apple, although i know you probably mean "iOS devices".

i really 100% don't miss out on not having flash on my iDevices, i don't know why, but its not an issue with me.

Last edited:

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Poser said:
i have flash on my Macbook Air, no Mac computer comes with flash, but you can get it by a simple download. Just referring to your don't buy Apple, although i know you probably mean "iOS devices".

Yes, sorry - I should have clarified by quoting iOS but did say at end about buying iPad, pod and phones, didn't mention Mac 'computers' !

pastan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jduncan said:
I haven't had my iPad for very long and it is my first Apple device. I've witnessed something about Apple though and that is they seem to not care about what is most popular, but instead develop their own way of doing things and force the market to change to their way.

I'm talking about things like flash, special adapters, lack of USB ports, lack of media reader slots, their own browser, etc. Is this just their way of being different, or is their way truly better? I believe it's Apple forcing the change from flash to HTML5, correct.

It's business. It's changing the game. And they did well. They offered something that nobody could.

OP
J

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not saying they are wrong, I'm saying they set the rules and the market follows vs giving what people THINK they want, or need. Very forward thinking and they sway the market their direction because of an extremely loyal fan base.

Most reactions

Latest posts