What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you are on the fence about which platform to buy

Reaction score
I own an Ipad and I own a Galaxy Tab 10.1 , know both systems very well.
If you are equally loving both ios and Android platform one HUGE consideration before buying is service after the sale .
Which manufacturer of the tablet with said operating system is going to be there if something goes wrong after the return window expires
With any platform you can go to a forum and get advice on things like freezing, under performing, etc BUT what if the answer lies in a non user fixable problem is the question.
Though I prefer the Android system over ios, I will be frank and blunt.
Apple has stores and call centers with trained employees dedicated to helping owners get the most from their device. There is no Android, Samsung, Asus, Xoom, etc store beyond the dealer or website where the Android was purchased and that opens a door for inconsistent service after the sale . The same can be said for 800# call centers.
If you are truly 50/50 on which way to go I highly suggest factor in who will take care of your device after purchase as forums and internet searches can only take one so far.
Should you decide on ios I also suggest the Apple Care extended warranty because most devices don't start acting up during the initial warranty period, it is almost always just after the regular one expires
Just my .02 and not meant to try to pursued anyone anywhere to or away from anything.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent advice, Mark. And I'd only qualify your comments by noting that they're most applicable in a pure consumer context. I don't think anyone would dispute that Apple provides the best consumer support for their products. Period. And that applies to computers as well as tablets, phone support as well as repair, etc.

On the other hand, if you're a business user, especially someone who has (or whose company has) an established relationship with a computer vendor (such as Lenovo), you may well want to leverage that relationship when you purchase a tablet.

Manufacturers are not created equal in terms of support for their computer products. I'm impressed by Samsung's products, for example, but I wouldn't count on Samsung to have my back for mission critical hardware in my business, especially for issues that are not easily diagnosed as either hardware or software based. On the other hand, my experience with Lenovo suggests they will back what they sell with an understanding that it's likely to be a mission critical device.

OP
Mountainbikermark
Reaction score
The think pad is one for the quality service after the sale . Samsung , at the same time, is notorious for lousy customer care. My dealings with Samsung have been stellar over the years, fwiw, unlike their overall reputation. The only down side I've had is the time it took vs the time dealing with Apple.
My point is research not only the product but make sure that when you buy your tablet that you don't end up no better off than the woman in SC that got an iplank for her money at a Mcburgers.
I've been seeing a lot of very helpful information on Cnet to help decide tablet vs netbook/laptop, which to buy and where to go after the sale if help is needed. They are my "consumer reports" for technology purchases.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You don't know how lucky you are to have #800 numbers to call ! Over here , in France , most hotlines cost € 0,34 the minute ... when they answer...
Apple is one of the very rare that are free and where you can talk to people who actually know what they are talking about ;-))

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't know how lucky you are to have #800 numbers to call ! Over here , in France , most hotlines cost € 0,34 the minute ... when they answer...
Apple is one of the very rare that are free and where you can talk to people who actually know what they are talking about ;-))

This is very interesting!

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
The business model hasn't changed with the arrival of tablets. Remember when buying a computer, you get the hardware, but no after-sale support beside having to shell out money at the "geek squad".

Apple's philosophy has been discovered by the general public only with the arrival of iPhones and iPads. Before that, not a lot of people knew about their services. Of course, the Apple Store greatly helped has you can just go in, get help and in some cases, a free replacement on the spot. In the past, I got many computer brands and many gadgets. None of them gave me that kind of assurance that if something goes wrong, I'll know where to go.

Now, Apple showed the way, and other manufacturers are not following, only to sell hardware specs. They still sell tablets as they were selling laptops and desktops. For support, you need to call that 800 number, hoping for the best.

When I bought, my iPhone, 2 years ago, I asked my cell provider about tech support availability since I paid a good price for that device. Their answer was "Call Apple...". I was a bit shocked as I did not know about how Apple was providing after-sale services. I was used to the idea that when you buy a device/computer, if something goes wrong, it's gonna cost you almost as much as buying a new one.

And slowly, I learned, with forum like this one that it was not the case. Eventually, I needed some help, got the the nearest Apple Store and was impressed. First time I went, was to have a look for an iPad case (got mine as a gift). Prices were on par as everywhere else, the clerk was not trying to sell me the most priciest item and actually asking me what I really needed. I went back for an Apple TV. Got great tips, and when asking about the HDMI cable, he sold me one for 20$ where other stores were selling them at 50-100$... He could have got me to buy a cable at a much higher price but "It's a cable, don't pay for a brand... This one is as good as others and cheap...". Then I went to have a check on my iPhone, took a few minutes, all was ok and asked if they had earbuds since mine that came with my iPhone were broken (Darn cat!). The genius told me "You're talking about the stock one... Wait, here, no charge...".

Where else can I get that feeling of "if something goes wrong, I'll go see them"? Sony, Toshiba, Dell, Microsoft, Kia, Kennmore, Packard Bell, Ford, Chevrolet, etc... None of them gave me or provided me with the assurance that I had made an "investment" in their product.

Let's hope that other company, not just tablet manufacturers, will learn from the Apple experience and understand that they will keep a customer by his heart and not by his balls ;)

VicoPad addict!

Last edited:

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only other place that has been beyond wonderful to me is Amazon.When my Kindle broke,I sent an email and the tech support called me back within minutes ( From the US to France...yes! )
When we figured out it was totally out of order they asked me if I wanted to buy the next generation as mine was not under warrenty anymore.I answered that I couldn't afford the 189$ now , so they told me to hang on and when they came back on line told me they could help for one time.
When I asked what they meant by "help" , the answer was " a gift certificate for 189$"....I am now the happy owner of a brand new Kindle !
How is that for customer support !!!???

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Mountainbikermark
Reaction score
The only other place that has been beyond wonderful to me is Amazon.When my Kindle broke,I sent an email and the tech support called me back within minutes ( From the US to France...yes! )
When we figured out it was totally out of order they asked me if I wanted to buy the next generation as mine was not under warrenty anymore.I answered that I couldn't afford the 189$ now , so they told me to hang on and when they came back on line told me they could help for one time.
When I asked what they meant by "help" , the answer was " a gift certificate for 189$"....I am now the happy owner of a brand new Kindle !
How is that for customer support !!!???

Just WOW that is cool!

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW Apple has ramped up enterprise sales and support to match any competitor IMHO. I won't go into personal stories, but I'd strongly suggest anyone considering new or upgraded equipment and support for their small or large business to take a look (or another look) at what Apple is offering today.

Apple - Business

Here's an interesting article on the subject with links to the various enterprise departments within Apple:

Apple Cares about Enterprise - The Appconomy

One of the challenges for some businesses is their own I.T. services/support department. They are often mired in the "that's how we've always done it" paradigm and reluctant to contemplate change. The ability to switch products and services as well as the learning curve has been streamlined and there are an enormous amount of resources and training options available now so the perceived roadblocks have been removed.

Also as mentioned one key consideration of course is support for products and applications; this is where Apple really excels. To that end I.T. also may have their own agenda...that of maintaining unreliable equipment and continually upgrading and patching applications as well as maintaining security. They also often pride themselves in being able to "fix" day-to-day problems users run into. The intuitive nature of Apple products and applications lends itself to users often being able to learn how to resolve issues on their own and the legendary high quality and security of Apple products and applications speak for themselves.

Buying or switching to Apple products reduces the need for a variety of support and may ultimately save business owners a great deal of money in the long run.

Hope that helps and thanks to Mountainbikermark and others for this valuable discussion!

Last edited:

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent discussions here, i would like to add that i love going to the apple store regularly and always try out all the devices, however this friday i went to a local best buy that opened recently, and i tried various tablets there, asus, samsung, motorola, htc, samsung 3d tablet with glasses, and i have to say the apple ipad2 was the best one, the smoothness of the apple was lacking in the other android machines. Saying that price matters, the sales girl told me when the hp tablet became available for £85, the management at best buy in enfield bought majority bulk of the stock, staff the rest and a few customers.  infact on that week, the hp tablet beat apple in the sales numbers 

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

OP
Mountainbikermark
Reaction score
Excellent discussions here, i would like to add that i love going to the apple store regularly and always try out all the devices, however this friday i went to a local best buy that opened recently, and i tried various tablets there, asus, samsung, motorola, htc, samsung 3d tablet with glasses, and i have to say the apple ipad2 was the best one, the smoothness of the apple was lacking in the other android machines. Saying that price matters, the sales girl told me when the hp tablet became available for £85, the management at best buy in enfield bought majority bulk of the stock, staff the rest and a few customers.  infact on that week, the hp tablet beat apple in the sales numbers 

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

I'd hope that this will stay strictly to "service after sale". When threads veer into which is smoother/better, etc things can go downhill quickly.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I definitely agree. I appreciate the customer service of Apple, definitely.

Most reactions

Latest posts