If you are new, please post an introduction thread.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by JohnnyApple, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Islandantoinette

Islandantoinette
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Aloha Cartha58 we are both together in this. I can do about 20 min before pain in the eyes. So it would help if I knew how to use the iPad too. It will help me knowing someone else is in the same boat as me.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you go to this site, you can get PDF, online, and iBooks versions of the iPad user guide. http://support.apple.com/manuals/

3. Islandantoinette

Islandantoinette
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Will iBooks users guide for 8.1 operating system allow me to listen to the book? What is it I have to do to make this work? So that you have the book read through the iPad using speaker ear buds.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    The iBooks version of the manual can be made to speak, sort of. You can select text then tell it to speak it. You can also turn on the Voice Over features in Settings > General > Accessibility. It's kind of clunky, but it's possible to navigate the iPad blind using this interface.

Another accessibility feature you might try is the Zoom feature, which lets you zoom in and scroll around the screen, any screen in any app.

But probably the biggest reason to get the iPad version of the iPad User Guide for iOS 8 is that you can increase the font size. It can go 'way' up, to almost an inch hight for the caps. Hard to read that way, of course, since you only get parts of sentences per screen.

5. TabletCat

TabletCat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    1st of all, while it's 1:30 am in Dallas and as a former moderator that's when spammers from the 4th world post about Forex and other nonsense, I'm not doing that.

I've been using Windows for 20+ years and over the past year, my personal computing devices have tried Linux, Android, Apple. I'm at the bifocal age, so a 7-inch tablet is not ideal. So I got a refurbished iPad 3 (retina quality) with 32 GB. My primary uses is as a large e-reader (leaning towards Adobe Reader, but open to other suggestions), and checking out email in WiFi hotspots. I'm in IT - Business Intelligence, also known as Business Analytics, so reading ebooks with embedded images matters a lot, meaning I need at least 1920x1024 resolution (about half retina quality), and a screen of 7 inches, but preferably 10 inches.

Retina quality is why I got the iPad 3. My biggest adjustment may be transferring files from my laptop (Windows 7) - still figuring that out. It may be heresy to say I'm a big Chrome user, but not going back to Internet Explorer unless it's work related.

Avitar is my late great boss cat, an "iManx" doing his MGM roar...next to me is his successor that closely resembles him.

6. geotron

geotron
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hello all from greece im george !!!

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello George, welcome to iPad Forums!

8. dvdjamm

dvdjamm
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hello all...I'm in San Francisco and I've had my iPad mini 2 for almost a year now and besides various styles of iPod,this is the only electronic item i've owned by Apple. Thanks

9. Trebin

Trebin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    New to site. I pad 2 I think.

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to iPad Forums dvdjamm! We're here to help you get the most out of your iPad. If you have any problems or questions that reading the forum can't solve, don't hesitate to let us know.