What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identifying a new keyboard to use across the board to replace the built in keyboard

reynalac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and relatively new to the niceties of apple. In particular I am looking for a keyboard I can download onto the iPad so I can use it instead of the built-in keyboard for ALL applications instead of just the usual Facebook and similar social sites. Most if my work involves a lot of alpha-numeric entries and the need to switch between showing numbers and letters is not the most efficient. I have Fast Keyboard installed but it is only useful for social sites - I think.

PS: I have an iPad 2; iPhone 4 and MacBook Pro.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there is no way to replace the default keyboard with one of your choosing. The best you can do is get a keyboard app you like (from the App Store) to use - but then you'd have to copy 'n' paste anything you type in it. Or, get an external Bluetooth keyboard.

If you jail break your iPd, there is a tweak you can install to get a fourth row, which you can make numbers if you choose. But, on a stock iPad, there is nothing you can do except use the default keyboard (or do the copy/paste with a 3d party keyboard app). Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
reynalac

reynalac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Unfortunately, there is no way to replace the default keyboard with one of your choosing. The best you can do is get a keyboard app you like (from the App Store) to use - but then you'd have to copy 'n' paste anything you type in it. Or, get an external Bluetooth keyboard.

If you jail break your iPd, there is a tweak you can install to get a fourth row, which you can make numbers if you choose. But, on a stock iPad, there is nothing you can do except use the default keyboard (or do the copy/paste with a 3d party keyboard app). Sorry.

Marilyn

Thank you. You confirmed my thoughts.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a method where you hold down the number toggle key (123) and then slide your finger to the number you want to enter and release, the keyboard will return to the alpha keyboard instantly. If you just have to enter a few numbers this might work OK as a work around.

OP
reynalac

reynalac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pocobear said:
There is a method where you hold down the number toggle key (123) and then slide your finger to the number you want to enter and release, the keyboard will return to the alpha keyboard instantly. If you just have to enter a few numbers this might work OK as a work around.

Thanks.

Most reactions