What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify New ipad from version 2

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your "input" guys and its obvious that there is not a quick and easy/simple way to check "externally" except to check the serial numbers.
I will also be using a micrometer on each of them to measure the thickness. Not all the ipads I buy have "charge" and therefore may not turn on, so checking "internally" will not be possible (at that time).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your "input" guys and its obvious that there is not a quick and easy/simple way to check "externally" except to check the serial numbers.
I will also be using a micrometer on each of them to measure the thickness. Not all the ipads I buy have "charge" and therefore may not turn on, so checking "internally" will not be possible (at that time).

kaykaykay wrote this:

The serial and model numbers are on the back of every iPad, as well as viewable in Settings.

Frankly, all you need to do is make a list of the model numbers (given in a link in this thread) and have that with you when you check. Measuring with a micrometer would be a waste of time, IMO, and could possible lead to damage of the device. It would also take longer than just looking at the model number. Punching in a serial number is also a rather slow way to do this. Also, the model numbers also back of the box. If I were spending money, I'd look on the back of the device itself. Also, I would not buy it without verification that it comes on.

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kaykaykay wrote this:

Frankly, all you need to do is make a list of the model numbers (given in a link in this thread) and have that with you when you check. Measuring with a micrometer would be a waste of time, IMO, and could possible lead to damage of the device. It would also take longer than just looking at the model number. Punching in a serial number is also a rather slow way to do this. Also, the model numbers also back of the box. If I were spending money, I'd look on the back of the device itself. Also, I would not buy it without verification that it comes on.

As you say - its only your opinion. You have obviously no knowledge of the modern micrometers that are made for more delicate jobs than this!:rolleyes: - they couldn't damage anything even if they tried!

Model number check and micrometer checks will both be done before I buy any that are "said to be" 3rd Gen.

Thanks again to all that have contributed. :thumbs:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As you say - its only your opinion. You have obviously no knowledge of the modern micrometers that are made for more delicate jobs than this!:rolleyes: - they couldn't damage anything even if they tried!

What's why the word "possibly" (well, that's what I meant to type) was included, as I have no way of knowing what device you are using. The ones I have aren't delicate and could easily dent the rather soft metal shell of an iPad.

Kusdiansah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pkay1 said:
Just look for the microphone key on the keyboard when typing . hope that helps mate.

All iPad will have that key if you enable dictation on keyboard setting. Correct me if Iam wrong

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kusdiansah said:
All iPad will have that key if you enable dictation on keyboard setting. Correct me if Iam wrong

You are wrong, only the iPad three has the dictation feature and only when connected to the Internet. If you activate airplane mode or turn wifi off, the feature disappears.

Last edited:

Kusdiansah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
You are wrong, only the iPad three has the dictation feature and only when connected to the Internet. If you activate airplane mode of turn wifi off, the feature disappears.

So that's solve the problems, thx god now I know that mine is really a third gen *cheers

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And now found the answer to my problem:-

On the back of your iPad look for:-

iPad 2 (Wi-Fi Only)
A1395
iPad 2 (Wi-Fi/GSM)
A1396
iPad 2 (Wi-Fi/CDMA)
A1397
iPad 3 (Wi-Fi Only)
A1416
iPad 3 (Wi-Fi/GSM AT&T)*
A1430
iPad 3 (Wi-Fi/CDMA Verizon)
A1403

Sorted!!

I can now look at a group of iPads and see which generation etc they are without turning them on or having to compare with another.

Most reactions

Latest posts