Identify New ipad from version 2

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by mrgooch, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I would never rely on a box. All a scammer has to do is give you the box of a new iPad and put an old one in the box, for instance.

2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ziffos is saying he is buying in bulk, with a pile of iPads in front of him to check.

The possibility of everyone having two iPads or more in front on them is not likely in most secondhand buyers' cases. Usually, people see one advertised on Craigslist, eBay, etc., then see it in person, at which point they will want to confirm what they're getting. If they've never seen a retina screen, they won't have any reference.

At buying point, there will be at least one iPad in front of any buyer, so they can check serial or model number.

3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Every serial number is unique. Otherwise it's not a serial number.

4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I didn't postulate not having any iPads in front of you. Every buyer will have at least one iPad in front of him. I noted that not every buyer will have two iPads (iPad 2 and new iPad) to compare. I referred to that because there were others referring to comparing retina screen, weight and thickness.

5. coolstuffs

coolstuffs
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    In that case, the only choice is to really examine the back of the device for the model number. If you agree that it is the only choice, will this be easy and quick especially if you have the 200 pcs. of secondhand Ipads (for inspection) as what Ziffos have scenariod?

#25 coolstuffs, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    No one is saying it's quick and easy. If you've got money involved, it's probably worth not getting scammed, despite the "hardship" of checking, lol.

7. coolstuffs

coolstuffs
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    According to Ziffos " ........If I am buying second hand - and in bulk as I do - then I need to be able to tell quickly and easily which "generation" I am looking at - I guess I am going to have to carry a micrometer to check the thickness of each iPad - not a pleasant job if I have a pile of 200 to check!!"

Bold added for emphasis.

8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    He or she asked for input on how to check and would like a quick and easy method -- that doesn't mean one necessarily exists.

9. coolstuffs

coolstuffs
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Here's Ziffos response to two responses to this thread in which one is mine " @theTIMO - no help whatsoever - so why even bother posting? - maybe you just want to increase your "novice" score?
    @coolstuffs - thanks but specs comparisons have always been easy to obtain but of no use when I don't have both ipads at the front of me.
    @Kaykaykay - thank you for your comments above.

If I am buying second hand - and in bulk as I do - then I need to be able to tell quickly and easily which "generation" I am looking at - I guess I am going to have to carry a micrometer to check the thickness of each iPad - not a pleasant job if I have a pile of 200 to check!!"

I'm not sure if he/she is asking for inputs on how to check and would like an easy and quick method!

10. ferrarasam2

ferrarasam2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    you will fill the diffrence when you will use it, apple is known for making simple classic looking devices, and there almost all products look same, but when you will use them, you will feel the diffrence