IDC: Apple continues to lead the tablet industry with one-third of the market share

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Jan 31, 2014.

1. RaduTyrsina

RaduTyrsina News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    idc_4Q13_tablets.jpg

According to market research firm IDC, Apple's share of the tablet market has seen a slight boost in the 2013 holiday quarter that has ended on December 28. The new line of iPads allowed Apple to raise its share of the market to 33.8% from 29.7% in the previous quarter. Also, the Cupertino Company has seen a year-over-year growth of 13.5%.

For the past two years, Apple’s share of the tablet market has seen a perpetuous decline, caused mainly by low-cost Android tablets. However, we need to mention that IDC’s numbers represent the number of shipped tablets, meaning those units that are currently in retail or in the channel and not necessarily yet sold directly to the consumer. Tom Mainelli, Research Director at the Tablets division at IDC says that important markets are already reaching their saturation point:

It will be interesting to see how will the iPad fare in 2014, as it will get more pressure on its hegemony, not only from the growing number of Android tablets, but also from Windows 8 devices that are expected to ship in hundreds of millions.

Source: IDC
  2. The ~Seraphim~

The ~Seraphim~ iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +158 / 1
    In the tablet buisness there is no comparison or actual battle actually. The iPad will and always will lead the tablet market.
  3. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    I have to agree. I was never an apple guy but ended up with multiple iPads for our household. I tried the others and they just didn't cut it.
  4. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    Yup, even my anti-Apple bro admits Apple has the best tablets lol.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF