What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'd Like Your Opinion

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
what's your ipad usage?

before i had my ipad2 i had an ipod Touch 1. had it for about 4 years. never once in that time did i connect it to itunes (other than ios updating) or back anything up on it. never once suffered any problems.
so no, there is no should

saying that, since i've purchased my ipad2 ive decided to embrace itunes and take full advantage of all the stuff my ipad/itunes has to offer me. i also take the opportunity to do regular ipad2 backups and software purchase backups, all to my central portible drive library. just in case.

i personally do this every saturday afternoon. takes around 3 mins all in all.

i'm so looking forward to doing all this wirelessly before long with ios5 :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the usual way to look at this is... for information that you do not have backed up else where, how much data would you be willing to lose if something went wrong?

iPad's are pretty stable devices. You could go forever without running into a problem. Equally, it could fail tomorrow for no predictable reason! That's the wonder of technology! :D

My advice is to perform a sync (which backs up onto your PC) "as often as practical". For me that's at least once a week.

iPad backups are incremental, meaning the longer you leave between them, the longer they take because you are backing up more "changed" data each time. Personally, I would not let it slip past once a month.

But like all these things it comes down to your personal aversion to risk and of course how you are actually using your iPad. If you use it as a device to create content, you probably want to ensure such information is backed up very regularly.

If you use it only to browse and consume media, you can argue that you never have to back it up because all your media is already stored on the PC it came from or downloaded from cloud services such as Amazon which are in themselves a backup.

If you would like some specific guidance, let us know exactly what you use your iPad for, but in the meantime I hope that helps. :)

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do it every now and then, atleast once a week, like stated by sj. If you are always on your ipad and have sensitive data do it.

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Well, the usual way to look at this is... for information that you do not have backed up else where, how much data would you be willing to lose if something went wrong?

iPad's are pretty stable devices. You could go forever without running into a problem. Equally, it could fail tomorrow for no predictable reason! That's the wonder of technology! :D

My advice is to perform a sync (which backs up onto your PC) "as often as practical". For me that's at least once a week.

iPad backups are incremental, meaning the longer you leave between them, the longer they take because you are backing up more "changed" data each time. Personally, I would not let it slip past once a month.

But like all these things it comes down to your personal aversion to risk and of course how you are actually using your iPad. If you use it as a device to create content, you probably want to ensure such information is backed up very regularly.

If you use it only to browse and consume media, you can argue that you never have to back it up because all your media is already stored on the PC it came from or downloaded from cloud services such as Amazon which are in themselves a backup.

If you would like some specific guidance, let us know exactly what you use your iPad for, but in the meantime I hope that helps. :)

I want to thank everyone for their help in this matter. I use mainly to browse the web to do research on certain things. But I also use particular apps quite a bit. I've only my iPad 2 for a little over a month, and I'm finding more uses for it all the time. I'm also downloading more apps too.

My own thoughts on this matter are as follows...

1. Perform a sync once a day.

2. Also, perform a sync whenever you download a new app OR whenever you receive updates on the apps that you already own.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just my advice, 2 is absolute overkill. You don't need to back up your updates at all. They are nicely stored away on Apple servers in the cloud and can be re-downloaded again any time. Once a day is perfectly acceptable for the usage you describe. In fact many people will argue that THAT is overkill!

My advice is don't overthink it and don't overdo it! If you can manage once a day, plug it in and press sync. If you miss a few days, don't worry about it!

Dr Umfufu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I owned an iPad 1 for over a year and only synced with iTunes every week or two (if I could be bothered...) the iPad is a very stable platform!!! Saying that it is also not completely infallible. If you are near your computer and stand to be away from your iPad for a few minutes then just sync it......better safe than sorry.... :0)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once a week. If even that. Paranoid people like appsempire :) do it every day and after a new app. Like f4780y said, overkill.

socialsandy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad is unique but it's part can replace from any where main issue is genuinity

Most reactions

Latest posts