What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icons are white after ios 8 update on iPad mini 2

JTCT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After updating my iPad mini, a lot of my icons are this white "bullseye"-looking image; see screenshot:

upload_2014-10-4_11-11-44.png

How do I get them back???

Thank you.
upload_2014-10-4_11-11-44.png

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try resetting. It sorts out an amazing number of problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
J

JTCT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Resetting how? If you mean a hard reboot, I've already tried that. Which way do you mean?

Thanks,

Noob

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
These are website links you saved to your homescreen. I had the same problems after updating to iOS 8. What I did was opening each of them by tapping the icon. Except for three links that didn't work any more, the other ones looked as before the update then.

OP
J

JTCT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These are website links you saved to your homescreen. I had the same problems after updating to iOS 8. What I did was opening each of them by tapping the icon. Except for three links that didn't work any more, the other ones looked as before the update then.

Finally! Okay, that worked - thanks very much!!!

jafromdundee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem after resetting. Discovered I can fix all the icons at the same time by turning off the Passcode Lock, reset iPad, turn Passcode back on. Hope that helps someone else.

OP
J

JTCT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@jafromdundee : Thanks! The first method above worked, but with dozens of shortcuts, it was getting tedious. How did you figure that out???

jafromdundee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@jafromdundee : Thanks! The first method above worked, but with dozens of shortcuts, it was getting tedious. How did you figure that out???
You are very welcome, JCTC! Glad it worked. I didn't want to go through each and every one to reset (tho I started that way).... kept doing searches and I found that solution and it worked for me. Nice to know it helped someone else, too! I found the idea on another thread here (ipadforums), thread titled: iPad2 very slow after iOS8 install!!

OP
J

JTCT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ack! When I went to the iPad this morning, the shortcuts were back to a white grid. I rebooted, but no change.

What now? I hope I won't have to constantly reset!

jafromdundee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it happens to mine (iPad2) after each time I do reset. I have to redo the "turn off Passcode lock; reset iPad; turn on iPad and turn on Passcode lock" (see above).

Sorry, JCTC. I don't know any other way around this. Also having trouble with posting on forums like this -- it sometimes freezes in the middle of a post.

I did read at the other thread that it may be something to do with a 4 number Passcode. The person changed to a longer Passcode and I believe the problem stopped for them. I have not tried that.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried what an earlier poster in this thread suggested. I turned off my passcode, restarted my iPad, then turned on my passcode. All the white home screen bookmark icons were back to normal without the bother of fixing each one separately.

jafromdundee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They look like web sites you saved. Try opening each one and see if it updates the icon. If not just save the website again to the desktop

That works most of the time, but the "turn off passcode, restart iPad, reset passcode" method works for all of them at one time. I had too many bookmark-icons to do each separately. Unfortunately, it has to be redone every time I reset the iPad, but still much easier than doing one at a time.

Good suggestion, tho...

Most reactions

Latest posts