What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something is not really clear for me.

Is ICloud free for all users? Or do you need something similar as the mobile me account that will disapear?
If I pay the $25 dolars a year is that for an unlimited amount of songs?

Thanks for clarifying.

Jan

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JJK said:
Something is not really clear for me.

Is ICloud free for all users? Or do you need something similar as the mobile me account that will disapear?
If I pay the $25 dolars a year is that for an unlimited amount of songs?

Thanks for clarifying.

Jan

I am trying to figure that out too.
Apple did say it is free.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jut noticed that the ITunesMatch will be limited to 20'000 songs not taking the purchased from ITunes into account.

Too bad. I have +100k songs, so this will not be for me.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So after reading the iCloud info page it looks like you'll have to pay an extra $25 a year to also have access to all your music (at least what's available in the iCloud library) you've ripped from your own CDs or downloaded from other sources. That's like 99% of what I have.:(

Yeah, me too. It sucks that we have to pay $25/year...

The $25 is if you want to include the music you have ripped to you computer or downloaded from a different music provider.

I don't want to pay again for my music! No thanks, iTunes Match, I'd rather stick with cable syncing!
Well, you're actually not paying for your music...again or at all. What you would be paying for is to have all of your music available to you on all of your devices at any time. Network storage, particularly network storage that affords instant streaming isn't free anywhere that I know of.

I've got about 60GB of music and like a lot of folks, most of it has been ripped from my own CD's. All of that plus music I've downloaded from Apple or Amazon or wherever will be available on my iPhone, iPad, iMac, etc., etc. without my having to lift a finger (except for the initial setup...which doesn't require me to copy, transfer or upload anything BTW). If I add a new song or rip a new CD...it's instantly on all of my devices.

Of course all of your music will still be on your computer or your iPad or whatever if you want to keep it there so iTunes will function just fine without iCloud.

With iOS 5 you'll no longer have to use a cable to connect to your computer to sync (providing you have WiFi), iCloud or not.

So I don't know about you, but I have better things to do than sit around while my music syncs to my devices every time I change or update something. Plus my iPhone and iPad (as well as my Macbook Air) have a finite amount of storage. With iCloud I'll no longer have to pick and choose what to sync because I'll have access to all of it! So for that convenience iCloud's couple of bucks a month fee is a bargain in my book. YMMV.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jut noticed that the ITunesMatch will be limited to 20'000 songs not taking the purchased from ITunes into account.

Too bad. I have +100k songs, so this will not be for me.

:eek: More than 100,000 songs? Really? If they averaged three and a half minutes per song it would take you a good two-thirds of a year to listen to each one just once! That's impressive!

I don't think you'll have to include every song or album...you could just pick oh, I don't know, the top 20,000! That should be an easy Saturday afternoon's work. ;)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
I was really surprised to see it listed on Apple's website!

Sheesh...I've clearly hit my post-limit for this thread. I'll just lurk in the corner for a while. :eek:

You have only had 4 posts!
And I am surprised to see it on their website too. Anyway they need to fix it. They say download iTunes 10.3 but really the beta iTunes is 10.5. That's what I got from the dev center.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well alrighty then...just one more.

Here's the content of an email I just received from Apple:

Important information for MobileMe members.

Dear MobileMe member,

We'd like to share some exciting news with you about iCloud — Apple’s upcoming cloud service, which stores your content and wirelessly pushes it to your devices. iCloud integrates seamlessly with your apps, so everything happens automatically. Available this fall, iCloud is free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users.

What does this mean for you as a MobileMe member?

When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your MobileMe email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

Your MobileMe subscription will be automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After that date, MobileMe will no longer be available.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, we will provide more details and instructions on how to make the move. In the meantime, we encourage you to learn more about iCloud.

Sincerely,

The MobileMe Team

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
:eek: More than 100,000 songs? Really? If they averaged three and a half minutes per song it would take you a good two-thirds of a year to listen to each one just once! That's impressive!

I don't think you'll have to include every song or album...you could just pick oh, I don't know, the top 20,000! That should be an easy Saturday afternoon's work. ;)

305.9 days to be exact. Or 370 Gb. Agree I could take the "top" 20'000. Maybe I will try for a year.

First I will have to spend a few Saturdays to select them. 

Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts