What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iCloud.....MobileMe?

I need to sign up for MobileMe again. Its been marginally useful so I'm on the fence about signing up again.

Is iCloud sorta like MobileMe....is it cheaper? I'm trying to sort out the reality vs the hype of the ANNOUNCEMENT.

CM

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So after reading the iCloud info page it looks like you'll have to pay an extra $25 a year to also have access to all your music (at least what's available in the iCloud library) you've ripped from your own CDs or downloaded from other sources. That's like 99% of what I have.:(

littlesue73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The $25 is if you want to include the music you have ripped to you computer or downloaded from a different music provider. if you download from iTunes then it's free to store on icloud. You get 5gb but your apps and iTunes music won't effect that.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The $25 is if you want to include the music you have ripped to you computer or downloaded from a different music provider. if you download from iTunes then it's free to store on icloud. You get 5gb but your apps and iTunes music won't effect that.
Yeah, that's what I got from it too.

Reaction score
I'm really liking the icloud concept. I don't use my iPad for music because I HATE iTunes but if I can figure out how to use the feature I probably will use it, especially if it can run in the background like the built in music player. If not I'm not interested at all.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

copter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had downloaded an app on my iPad and then I received a push message on my iPhone asking me if I wanted to sync my downloaded apps. Very cool stuffs!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iCloud.....MobileMe?

I need to sign up for MobileMe again. Its been marginally useful so I'm on the fence about signing up again.

Is iCloud sorta like MobileMe....is it cheaper? I'm trying to sort out the reality vs the hype of the ANNOUNCEMENT.

CM
As mentioned above, MobileMe will go away, replaced by iCloud. You can't buy MobileMe anymore (only sign up for a free 60 day trial).

If you have a MobileMe account currently, check it out now. I found that they had extended my account's expiration date to June 30, 2012 at no charge and that they will give me a refund for an amount I recently paid:

ddia9k.gif

According to this article Apple has refunded some other MobileMe users recently...

MobileMe renewals getting refunded automatically? (Updated)

iCloud will have nine apps including iCal, Contacts and Mail. No one has said how the migration for current MobileMe subscribers will happen or if those of us that have paid for MobileMe recently will get any credit or refunds, etc. I'm sure that will be addressed soon.

iCloud will be free and will allow up to 5GB of storage. Photo Stream and iTunes will be part of iCloud and the good news is that files for those programs will not count against the free 5GB's.

If you want to add music that you've ripped from CD's to your iCloud iTunes account you'll need to pay $25 annually. The great thing about that is that you won't have to upload any of your ripped music as iTunes will probably have it already. They did not address music that they might not have licensed (personal, the odd indie band, etc.). More news to follow.

Here is the full Keynote Address by Steve Jobs and friends which includes all of the info about iCloud, iOS 5 and OS X Lion:

Apple - Apple Events - Apple Special Event June 2011

Mimshacktee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pardon me but is icloud the same as wireless sync? The reason why I connect to iTunes is to sync my contacts, calendar, photos and allow me to transfer stuff that are within apps like documents, videos and downloaded stuff with mercury browser. The music and app feature is cool but is that all we get?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mimshacktee said:
Pardon me but is icloud the same as wireless sync? The reason why I connect to iTunes is to sync my contacts, calendar, photos and allow me to transfer stuff that are within apps like documents, videos and downloaded stuff with mercury browser. The music and app feature is cool but is that all we get?

Wireless sync with iTunes will come with iOS 5. Icloud is more of a backup solution.

Mimshacktee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks graywolf. I don't see anything about multi gestures on iOS 5. I guess we still need a jailbreak for that. LION gets multi gestures but tablets don't, what a contradiction

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mimshacktee said:
Thanks graywolf. I don't see anything about multi gestures on iOS 5. I guess we still need a jailbreak for that. LION gets multi gestures but tablets don't, what a contradiction

iOS 5 has gestures. :)

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cnet.com has a few key note clips you can watch about icloud . Cnet also is a free app. Just seen you can see more at apple.com

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So after reading the iCloud info page it looks like you'll have to pay an extra $25 a year to also have access to all your music (at least what's available in the iCloud library) you've ripped from your own CDs or downloaded from other sources. That's like 99% of what I have.:(

Yeah, me too. It sucks that we have to pay $25/year...

The $25 is if you want to include the music you have ripped to you computer or downloaded from a different music provider.

I don't want to pay again for my music! No thanks, iTunes Match, I'd rather stick with cable syncing!

Mimshacktee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
iOS 5 has gestures. :)

Oh! That's just wonderful then looking forward to the update. Phew! I can finally get my iPad 2 now. I wasn't going to do so until the jailbreak was out but I guess I may not need it as much now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts