What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

icloud eating my bandwidth

magicaxeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.alensonlife.com
Over the weekend and the start of the week I noticed my net had slowed to a grind, I was having to reload pages constantly and getting loads of "server not found" errors.

I racked my brains trying to sort it out, resetting my router, running extra virus and malware scans to no avail.
It was then that I realised I had set up sync to icloud the other day and on switching it off everything returned to normal again.

I am running on a broadband connection not dial up so it shouldn't be an issue but it seems to be causing my net to slow down to the point where its useless really..

Has anyone else found similar using icloud?

carlosarias1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad 1 and iPhone 4 with ios 5 on both. , iCloud turned on and sycn, everything on, and I've never had any problems on my router or pc, and netflix is running normally

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am running on a broadband connection not dial up so it shouldn't be an issue but it seems to be causing my net to slow down to the point where its useless really..

I assume that for the first sync it will need to copy the entire contents of your iPad to iCloud. After that it should only be incremental changes so (again I assume) the bandwidth usage would reduce.
How much data do you have on your iPad?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. It doesn't work like that. Your entire ipad is never copied to the cloud. Backups are small. Settings and data only, since apps are already all in the cloud to begin with.

A constant connection with significant constant traffic is not how iCloud is built. Something else must have been wrong. I have 3 devices backed up to the cloud and the total is about 100MB. My bandwidth is no more than normal.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the weekend and the start of the week I noticed my net had slowed to a grind, I was having to reload pages constantly and getting loads of "server not found" errors.

I racked my brains trying to sort it out, resetting my router, running extra virus and malware scans to no avail.
It was then that I realised I had set up sync to icloud the other day and on switching it off everything returned to normal again.

Has anyone else found similar using icloud?

Keep in mind that on some broadband connections your upstream is still very limited. In some cases, an upload of only 100kb/s can "choke" your entire internet connection and slow everything down even if you have 99% of your downstream bandwidth available. That's what QoS in some routers is for. Having your upstream used for something keeps packets from another computer/device from being able to ACK it's packets and that brings the entire network to it's knees.

I would suggest using some type of network sniffing tool or SNMP polling app on your router to see how much upstream your using when you notice the problem.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. It doesn't work like that. Your entire ipad is never copied to the cloud. Backups are small. Settings and data only, since apps are already all in the cloud to begin with.

That's fine but what about people who have 20GB of movies, photos and music on their iPad for example? Surely if that is going to be synced it needs to be uploaded at least once.
That is what i was referring to when I said entire contents.

Most reactions

Latest posts