What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icloud - delete apps?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, but you can hide them. In App Store, go into Purchased, find the app and swipe to the left on its icon to get the "hide" option; select it and the app icon will fade/gray out. The next time you go into App Store purchase listings (give it a minute or two) it will be gone.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wonder why not a full removal/delete for the ones you really don't want at all?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
epb said:
No, but you can hide them. In App Store, go into Purchased, find the app and swipe to the left on its icon to get the "hide" option; select it and the app icon will fade/gray out. The next time you go into App Store purchase listings (give it a minute or two) it will be gone.

I'm gonna try that, thanks. The thing is though is they are taking up space in the cloud, which kinda annoys me!

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
They aren't taking away from your space in the cloud. Itunes bought stuff doesn't count against your storage.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. And that’s plenty of room, because of the way iCloud stores your content. Your purchased music, apps, books, and TV shows, as well as your Photo Stream, don’t count against your free storage. Since your mail, documents, Camera Roll, account information, settings, and other app data don’t use as much space, you’ll find that 5GB goes a long way. And if you need more storage, you can easily purchase astorage upgrade right from your device.

From: Apple - iCloud stores your content and pushes it to your devices.

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
They aren't taking away from your space in the cloud. Itunes bought stuff doesn't count against your storage.

Awesome to know. What can I do to keep my space down? I've already used half of the 5gb. Any suggestions?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Awesome to know. What can I do to keep my space down? I've already used half of the 5gb. Any suggestions?

Check which apps are storing the most and see if you really need to back them up. For example, the app that requires the most storage on my cloud is a magazine, which is 6GB all by itself. Since I can re-download previously purchased issues if I lose them, I stopped backing the app up to cloud. The space isn't an issue for me (I've got 25GB from the MobileMe rollover) but time is - backing up 10GB takes about half a day, I've learned. Backing up the entire 25GB at once would probably take days, so I'll likely drop back to 5GB once June rolls around.

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
epb said:
Check which apps are storing the most and see if you really need to back them up. For example, the app that requires the most storage on my cloud is a magazine, which is 6GB all by itself. Since I can re-download previously purchased issues if I lose them, I stopped backing the app up to cloud. The space isn't an issue for me (I've got 25GB from the MobileMe rollover) but time is - backing up 10GB takes about half a day, I've learned. Backing up the entire 25GB at once would probably take days, so I'll likely drop back to 5GB once June rolls around.

Great suggestion.... How exactly do I do that lol!

Banquish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
applechick said:
Great suggestion.... How exactly do I do that lol!

Settings > iCloud > storage &backup > manage storage > "iPads's name" > show all apps

From there you can see the ones with the largest file sizes. You can unselect as appropriate

Btw, apps do count towards the storage limit. Except for apps, music, photos, videos and mail, what else takes up space on your iPad? Nothing really

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Apps don't count, any data the app has produced/downloaded (game saves etc.) do count. Settings > iCloud > storage &backup > manage storage > "iPads's name" > show all apps, shows the data associated with each app, not the app size itself. if you check closely you will see that not all your apps are listed, because some apps don't have any extra data and so they aren't listed.

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys

I got space for I cloud is 5 gb..and I want to create backup for my device ..but I want to backup only few apps and contacts how I can do that?

Banquish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
Apps don't count, any data the app has produced/downloaded (game saves etc.) do count. Settings > iCloud > storage &backup > manage storage > "iPads's name" > show all apps, shows the data associated with each app, not the app size itself. if you check closely you will see that not all your apps are listed, because some apps don't have any extra data and so they aren't listed.

That's odd, games I never played counted for over 1gb, I guess it depends how the developer codes it

Most reactions