What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icloud Confusion

ifunkb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3, an iPod Touch 4g, and a MacBook Air. All three have different data in Contacts, ICal, etc. If I use iCloud to sync them, will the data from all three devices merge (or will one of the devices be "the boss" - whatever data is on it is always mirrored exactly to the other devices)?

An example: I sync the Macbook's data to iCloud first and then sync the iPad's (different data) next. Will the MacBook's data (that is not on the iPad) be added to the iPad, or will the data (not on the iPad) be deleted from the MacBook, or will they both end up with the same data - "merged"?

Now if I delete some data from the iPad and sync again, will the data be erased from iCloud and therefor erased from the MacBook also? Or will iCloud notice the data missing from the iPad and put it back?

Now throw in the iPod, and what happens?!!!!!

I'm thinking that whatever is on iCloud is what is mirrored to the other devices. But if that is correct, every time I add or erase data from one of the devices (while not connected to iCloud), I'll have to manually add or delete that data from iCloud the next time I connect to it, then sync all three devices.

Please help me figure this out - I'm CORNFUSED!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When adding a device to iCloud the data is merged.
For example, iPod has 3 contacts and is on the cloud. iPad has 5 contacts and added to the cloud. Both devices now have 8 contacts.

Now add a ninth contact to either the iPod or the iPad and it will be added to the other device as well. Same if you delete a contact on any device it will be deleted on all of them.

Hope that makes sense.

OP
I

ifunkb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When adding a device to iCloud the data is merged.
For example, iPod has 3 contacts and is on the cloud. iPad has 5 contacts and added to the cloud. Both devices now have 8 contacts.

Now add a ninth contact to either the iPod or the iPad and it will be added to the other device as well. Same if you delete a contact on any device it will be deleted on all of them.

Hope that makes sense.

It does. Thanks for the explanation.

Most reactions

Latest posts