What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud Caution when updating to iOS 8

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope I'm writing in the right form ,my first post
Updated my iPad 3, 64 G last week, I didn't know I should do it through iTunes. When the update was finished, and it took hours "I had lost everything" incl. my photos, music, all my apps, iCloud was wiped on and on. Took a few more hours to get rid of the blank or black page and I finally woke it up and it had the message in a picture to connect my iPad to iTunes, I did that thinking I needed to go to Recovery Mode, but I never found it, did you know there is a song named Recovery Mode? Yes. A week later I haven't recovered anything, I don't know how to. I can't get around in iTunes at all, perhaps that is wiped clean too and it doesn't recognize me, think? Need step by step instructions. Thanks for reading

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hope I'm writing in the right form ,my first post
Updated my iPad 3, 64 G last week, I didn't know I should do it through iTunes. When the update was finished, and it took hours "I had lost everything" incl. my photos, music, all my apps, iCloud was wiped on and on. Took a few more hours to get rid of the blank or black page and I finally woke it up and it had the message in a picture to connect my iPad to iTunes, I did that thinking I needed to go to Recovery Mode, but I never found it, did you know there is a song named Recovery Mode? Yes. A week later I haven't recovered anything, I don't know how to. I can't get around in iTunes at all, perhaps that is wiped clean too and it doesn't recognize me, think? Need step by step instructions. Thanks for reading
Here's what you have to do when your iPad is in recovery mode: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My pleasure. :)

You'll certainly enjoy the new software. :)
J.A. you replied to my post about updating my iPad 3 but I can't find your reply, where do I look? FYI I can't see whats to like on this update, my Safari is cut down to 2/3 of the size with the lefthand cut into by 1/3, can't clear it, seems to be permanent. I lost all my apps and games, now when I try to load one of them, the little circle just goes around forever, I get a gray icon and under it Waiting..... I've lost all my music and photos, everything, so I ask again, What's to like about it?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't find recovery mode, do you want me to go to iTunes and plug my iPad into my computer also in iTunes?
To get to recovery mode, turn off your device. Then take the USB cable of your iPad, plug it in to a computer, but don't yet connect it to the iPad. Hold the Home button on your device, then plug the cable in to it. When you see the iTunes sign and cable, this one:
image.jpg

(Apple Support)
then release the Home button. You're in recovery mode.

It's described in the link I posted.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
...my Safari is cut down to 2/3 of the size with the lefthand cut into by 1/3, can't clear it, seems to be permanent...
In Safari, tap the book icon at the top left, to hide your bookmarks and favorites.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another bit about iCloud Drive- if you do choose to use it on your device(s) you cannot good back to documents and data in iCloud! I did, did not like it and disabled it. Disabling it disabled all my iCloud data (with the exception of photo stream and back up) and everything was gone! Luckily I re-enabled it and my iCloud docs returned.

Most reactions