What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud backup

TJMay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If all of my Apple devices are synced to each other, is it necessary to backup them all to the cloud or would backing up just one suffice?

Tommy

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
What do you mean 'synced to each other'? You can't sync ipad to iphone or iphone to ipod etc. They can all sync to itunes or icloud, but its not directly to each other.

If your devices are all the same and have the exact same apps, with the exact same data and the exact same media on, then yes you could just backup one, but I rather doubt that would be the case.

OP
T

TJMay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That makes sense. While my contacts, mail and some other stuff are identical on all devices, I guess the data in some apps are not.

If all devices are synced and then backed up to the cloud, will each device need its full amount of space or will identical data be stored only once? I'm trying to be mindful of not exceeding my 5 gig by backing up both my iPad and iPhone.

Tommy

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Apps and media bought from itunes don't count towards your allowance (Apple already has them on their servers so why store again?), so you won't need as much as you think. My icloud backup of my 16Gb ipad only comes to 610Mb, but the ipad has 12 Gb used.

OP
T

TJMay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

Using your explanation, I decided to try it so I selected backup on my iPad to the cloud. Just prior to doing this, my available space out of the 5 gig allowed showed 1.1 used and 3.9 available.

Once the backup started, I was immediately advised that I did not have enough storage left. I also have a 16 gig iPad.

How could I have so much more than the 650 or so that you had?

Tommy

Most reactions

Latest posts