What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud asking for password

BorregoLinda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I changed my user ID for iCloud when I changed my email address. When I go into iCloud it shows my old I'd but under primary email address it shows my new one. When I sign into the App Store and iTunes I use new I'd and old password with no issues. However every time I write a new email or reply to an email a window ops up asking for my iCloud password and it shows my old ID! I can just hit cancel and it goes away and I can write but it's a pain in the behind! Any ideas? Hope this is clear!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try going to Settings > iCloud and logging out, then back into your iCloud account. So the same under Settings > iTunes & App Store. Because it is possible to have separate iCloud and iTunes accounts, each of these log-ins can be different.

Make you have not accidentally signed into (created) two iCloud accounts. This is possible. You can only have one primary iCloud account under Settings > iCloud, but it is possible to sign into a second iCloud account under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Accounts. If you have done this, there will be two iCloud accounts listed there.

If you tap one of them it should take you to the same settings as Settings > iCloud. The other one would take you to a more limited account setup similar to what you see for Yahoo or Gmail, with only the basic Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Notes switches.

Since I don't have two iCloud accounts myself, I'm guessing what it would look like. I have only anecdotal knowledge that it works, but it makes sense that it would.

OP
BorregoLinda

BorregoLinda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It tells me I will lose all my photos etc on my iPad if I sign out. Will they come back when I sign back in!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you are using iCloud Photo Library (beta)?

If you visit icloud.com on a desktop browser you should be able to check to see if you're iCloud information, documents and photos have been saved properly. If they have, then they will be restored when you sign back in; though it may take a while, depending on how fast your internet connection is.

Make sure you check with the same iCloud ID that you intend to use on the iPad.

If you are not using iCloud Photo Library, then the only other photos that I can think of that would be deleted is Photo Stream. If you are using Photo Stream, be sure to copy all the photos you want to save to your Camera Roll (or elsewhere) before signing out. You should do this periodically anyway. Photo Stream is not a permanent album. It is limited to 1000 photos, after which older photos are deleted to make room for new ones.

Because it is temporary, and only meant as a convenient way to copy new photos between devices, it will not restore from iCloud.

The other photos that would be deleted from the iPad if you sign out are the iCloud Photo Sharing albums. These will also be available when you sign back in, though you may have to actually open the albums on the iPad for the photos to download.

Photos in your Camera Roll, if you still have one, will not be affected.

When you use iCloud Photo Library the Camera Roll is replaced by All Photos. Photos may or may not be stored at fill size on the iPad in iCloud Photo Library, depending on you other Photo settings. This makes it hard to predict what might get deleted when you sign out of iCloud.

One last note. With iCloud Photo Library there is some risk. It is still in beta, so it's always possible it will burp and cause unexpected problems. Or more accurately, it's somewhat more likely to have problems than the older, stabler, photo library features.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iCloud always tells that you will lose photos etc. when you try to sign out. When you confirm, you get the possibility to keep most of it on the iPad, so you only will lose PhotoStream, afaik.

OP
BorregoLinda

BorregoLinda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I signed out and back in and so far so good!

Most reactions

Latest posts