What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ibooks

cyprus203

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have downloaded quite a few books to my ipad and lots of them were for free but can't seem to find the source anymore. I have looked on itunes but can't find a link can anyone help please:confused:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do you mean where you got them from?

With the iBook app open and in Library view you'll see a Store button on the top left. That will take you too the store.

If you are looking in iTunes for where the books are synced it's in the left column under Library. If you don't see it open preferences. On the General panel you can check the Books.

All books, including audio books will show up here, but you can not read or access the iBooks books from iTunes. They are only there for backup and syncing purposes.

Hopefully in the near future Apple will allow us to read our books on the Computer as well as our iOS devices. Or maybe not. Probably depends more on their licensing agreements than on whether they want to create the software.

OP
C

cyprus203

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But how do I find new books ?
Spaced you need help this is a forum for helping each other :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the iBook Store, which is accessed through the iBooks app.

When you are looking at your library list, there will be a store button in the top left corner. It takes you to the iBooks Store where you can search for new books, look at best sellers, etc.

Why don't you download the iPad User's Guide. The link is in my signature. It has a section on how to use iBooks.

Once you download it, you can go to the iBooks Store and download it there as well. That way you'll have a reference for you iPad handy when you are using it.

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
a bit OT, I see a problem with the forum app, signatures don't show. That could be a problem when recommending any links in it.

(Unless there is some setting I missed.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
a bit OT, I see a problem with the forum app, signatures don't show. That could be a problem when recommending any links in it.

(Unless there is some setting I missed.)

Oops, deleting prior reply. I didn't read close enough.

Go to Settings on the iPad and scroll down to the iPF App. You'll find a switch that will enable signatures display.

After I reread your post and realized I'd missed that you were talking about the app, I checked it out. I couldn't see sigs either. I changed the settings and they show up fine now. Unfortunately it has limited options for handling the links. I tapped on mine and it went to the web page display, but I could not see a progress bar. But the share icon in the lower right corner gave me an option to open the page in Safari. Safari is displaying the pdf file, after a long load time, but there is no way to save it to the iPad that I can find.

So, even if you can see the links in signatures the app isn't going to make grabbing files easy.

Last edited:

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet! I did't know about that setting. You're right though, it still isn't easy to get to the link

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, fixed it up a bit. The main link now takes you to Apple's support page with links to the pdf files, instead of straight to the pdf file. You still can't download directly from Safari, but one of the other browsers might work.

Second link will take you straight into the iBooks Store on the iPad, but only works if you have iBooks installed. Still, it was too cool to pass up.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hasty said:
Gutenberg Foundation is a good source of free books.

True, but most of those titles are available for free in iBooks too, and you don't have to convert or import them. When iBooks was anounced they said the Gutenberg library of titles would be included.

Of course you have to be careful. There are almost always pay for versions of the same book. You might have to check the whole search result list to be sure a free version isn't available.

spaced

iPF Noob
Reaction score
but how do you get itunes/ibooks to filter all availabke free books?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
but how do you get itunes/ibooks to filter all availabke free books?

There is no really great way, that I can find.

What you can do is go to Top Charts and see what Paid and Free books are most popular. To get a little control you can tap on the Category button at the top left and pick a genre. You can dig further down the list by scrolling to the bottom and choosing Show More.

Also, of you go to Browse, you can search Author. There is a Paid or Free filter, and again, you can limit the list by genre.

And that's about it, at least for now.

spaced

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
There is no really great way, that I can find.

What you can do is go to Top Charts and see what Paid and Free books are most popular. To get a little control you can tap on the Category button at the top left and pick a genre. You can dig further down the list by scrolling to the bottom and choosing Show More.

Also, of you go to Browse, you can search Author. There is a Paid or Free filter, and again, you can limit the list by genre.

And that's about it, at least for now.

thanks for your help

uzelacd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
free books disapeared

Some of my downloaded free books disapeared from my libraray? What's happened?

Most reactions

Latest posts